Driving to safe haven while out of 14 HOS

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Trucker PV, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Trucker PV

Trucker PV Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2014
    I got to a consignee with about 3 hours remaining on my 14 hos. They were back up with unloads and it took about 2 1/2 hours to get me unloaded. I asked if I could take a 10 hour at there property and was told no. So with 30 min. at rush hour time I drove to the first available safe haven. I parked with 6 minutes over 14 hos. I had put a message in the remarks stating my situation, to document my situation.

My safety department had given me a warning letter to sign off on stating the infraction. I had not yet signed off on. Is there a grace period to cover this situation?

Thank you for any input, Trucker PV

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skootertrashr6

skootertrashr6 Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Pueblo, Co
    No there is no grace period, safe haven is often used the wrong way anyway. Safe haven is for certain classes of Haz-Mat and where they can park. There is a conditions exception that allows you up to 2 hours over your normal 11h hours to find parking in situations of unforeseen weather delays such as natural disasters or motor vehicle accidents that close the road for hours, but even those must be completed in your 14 hour clock.

road_runner and briarhopper Thank this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I guess it depends on the carrier. Many will allow under 5-10 minute overages (so long as this rarely occurs), and not even give it a second thought. But will not tolerate these minor overages if they happen multiple times every week. I wouldn't worry about it. If they really want this, they'll bring you in and you can decide then if you want to play their little game.

hawkjr and Mooose Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The politicians just don't understand the rigid 14 hour window is the worst mistake ever on these new HOS rules.

vikingswen, turnanburn, mje and 2 others Thank this.
  6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Wait, you mean you planned everything as best you could, and still get bent over for things beyond your control? And now have to argue your innocence? Say it ain't so ...

Here is another question, could the carrier be held accountable if this driver has an accident several days later while he is perfectly legal? Would the few minutes overage be the shock and awe and be viewed as how could such a heinous act have been permitted by the carrier??

7. turnanburn

turnanburn Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2011
    central Vermont
    Exactly. Politicians don't even come close to meeting their obligations, in fact they ignore them.

8. turnanburn

turnanburn Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2011
    central Vermont
    6 minutes is less than the width of a pen tip. So remind me why are Elogs better?

cowboy_tech Thanks this.
  9. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    As soon as you got to within an hour of your 14 hour window and you were still being unloaded, I would have informed the your company via QC that you would be exceeding your 14 hour window and also I would have asked the consignee at that time and if they say no, I would have noted that also in the QC message. Always keep your company informed ahead of time if the situation will push you past your allotted hours.

Chinatown and briarhopper Thank this.
  10. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    If you end up taking an infraction for this, then tell them from now on, if the shipper or receiver wont allow you to stay on the property in these situations, then you will have to leave the property in plenty of time to get to a safe haven.... whether they have you loaded/unloaded or not. Even if it means leaving 1, 2, 3 or more hrs early (depending on the situation it could be more). If you cant make the appointment time, it wont be your fault.

Make sure you hold on to that infraction so you will have it when they give you the next one for leaving before your loaded/unloaded to get to a safe haven before your time runs out. Then take both infractions to an attorney & just have him send them a letter. That'll stop a lot of that kinda stuff.

snatale42 and road_runner Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.