Driving with sleep apnea

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by tcole99, May 13, 2009.

1. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    Pfffft.,truth sorta,B.S...,Oh yeah,I have been snoring since 13 yrs old,103 lbs,drowsed in class all the time,but excelled in wrestling and football,never slept great back then,have ALWAYS been hyper...Now..Still snore,still hyper..,no wrestling or football anymore,BUT,still get drowsy..,CAUSE..,REEFER parked next to me,qualcomm beeping in middle of night,unreasonable delivery times,(according to HOS) and knocks on my door from peddlers,beggars,and ladies of the night..Oh yeah..,blame my "snoring"uh huh..,How I like the "medical" folks to bleed me too..-Which does not help me sleep,-thinking about that either..G'Night..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Money grab or not if you stop breathing in your sleep enough times per hour that the oxygen level in your blood drops it can do bad things to your brain. Its not totally about lack of sleep.

4. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    :biggrin_25518: :biggrin_25518: :biggrin_25518:

5. U2Exit

U2Exit Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2008
    WA and VA
    Denial. It's not just a fat man's disease. Fat people are more susceptible. "larger people" if you want me to be more PC.

My brother is a very fit, army helicopter pilot. He has it. Even had the surgery to remove the tonsils, uvula, and trim of skin to increase his airway. and still has it.

I use my machine nightly. Qualcomm doesn't even wake me anymore I'm down so deep. Takes a really good alarm.

I never felt all that tired before, and I feel about the same now using it. However I sleep 2-3 hours less... I do feel like crap now if I don't use the machine... So I guess I'm hooked.

6. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    You can deny it, you can make fun of it, you can ignore it. But unless you have tried it for long enough for it to be worth while, you are talking through your hat. (Believe me, I KNOW about talking through my hat. BTDT way too many times.)

But I also know what a difference these CPAP machines have made in my life. I am certain that I would not be alive today, had I not gone on CPAP several years ago. But then you see, that is MY experience. It may NOT be the same for you.

But to throw stones at something you really are not familiar with is just not a real good idea.

Also, I see your age is listed at 51. As you get older, this snoring stuff often gets worse. But whatever, you go ahead and do whatever you want. Just stop throwing stones when you don't know what you are throwing at, or about.

112racing and outerspacehillbilly Thank this.
  7. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    If you need the machine, you need it. Now you could spend your money on getting a second study done by somebody else, for a "second opinion." But if you are having any problems at all with staying awake during your "daytime," if you are having problems with snoring waking you up during your "nighttime," if your wife has relegated you to the back porch or the dog house because your snoring is keeping the rest of the family awake, then you do have a problem.

I know they are expensive. But if you don't have insurance, you MAY be able to find a supplier that will work with you on reducing the price a bit.

If you need it, for heaven sakes get it. It will make a tremendous difference in your life.

U2Exit and 112racing Thank this.
  8. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    Sleep on,brother,sleep on..It makes no difference to me how many masks,electrodes,or whatever is sticking out of you when you sleep,as for me and my face,their will be no mask on.Thank you,thank you very much..

9. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Well, the dark side is not everyone can wear the mask. You spend all that money on the sleep study and find out you sleep worse with it because you are claustrophobic or what have you. Then you are officially medically disqualified from driving.

Then you get sent home and with no income, they expect you to figure something else out. No money, no insurance, nobody wants to fool with you. So trying to do the right thing and out some two grand, you are royally screwed. Then you are all stressed out and have a heart attack! :)

10. 112racing

112racing Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    pocono's, pa
    if you are told to go for a study and you don't ......find a new line of work...:dontknow:

if you take the study and are diagnosed and don't comply.....find a new line if work :evil3:

11. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    I have talked to more than a few trucker's on the road who have told me that exact same thing..So,now they are "locked in" the system,and cant sleep at all;makes NO sense to me..I still think,it is nothing but a scam to milk more driver's out of $$..I am sure when someone comes up with a way to "poop" more efficiently,plenty of folks will swear by that too.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.