Drug test result says "diluted sample", will I have issues?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by m16ty, Jul 21, 2022.

1. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    You don't think me chugging a bunch of water right before the test had anything to do with it?

From reading what you posted above about the regulations, it appears they were supposed to note the creatinine level on the report. I just pulled up the report long form and it says nothing about the creatinine level.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    It takes a lot of water to dilute urine. I have been told that depending on other factors somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 OZs will start to dilute. This is about 4 regular size glasses. If you feel like you drank this much OR MORE water, then maybe it was the water. I have spoken to a lot of safety crttters that get urine samples for drug screens. When they encounter shy bladder they won't allow the person to consume more than 10-12 OZ of water during the 3 hours the driver has to give you a urine sample. If this collector allowed you to drink that much water they were not following the rules.

m16ty and buddyd157 Thank this.
  4. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I'm pretty sure it was a 12oz cup, and she said I could have up to 3 of them. I did drink 3 of them fairly quick, because I was running behind and was just trying to work up a sample so I could get out of there.

5. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I’ve drank plenty of water(24oz or more) before a drug or DOT test. I want to make sure they get a pee liquid filled samples. :D

m16ty Thanks this.
  6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I misunderstood what I was told. Remember I have never collected a urine drug screen from a driver. I had to do some deeper research.
    Here is what 40.193(b)(2) says about this.

Urge the employee to drink up to 40 ounces of fluid, distributed reasonably through a period of up to three hours, or until the individual has provided a sufficient urine specimen, whichever occurs first. It is not a refusal to test if the employee declines to drink. Document on the Remarks line of the CCF (Step 2), and inform the employee of, the time at which the three-hour period begins and ends.

While looking this morning I ran into this rule I found interesting in your case. I am not going to copy the full text here, just the section I think you should see.

40.197(b) (1) AND (2)

(1) If the MRO directs you to conduct a recollection under direct observation (i.e., because the creatinine concentration of the specimen was equal to or greater than 2mg/dL, but less than or equal to 5 mg/dL (see § 40.155(c)), you must do so immediately.
    (2) Otherwise (i.e., if the creatinine concentration of the dilute specimen is greater than 5 mg/dL), you may, but are not required to, direct the employee to take another test immediately.
    (i) Such recollections must not be collected under direct observation, unless there is another basis for use of direct observation (see § 40.67 (b) and (c)).
    (ii) You must treat all employees the same for this purpose. For example, you must not retest some employees and not others. You may, however, establish different policies for different types of tests (e.g., conduct retests in pre-employment situations, but not in random test situations). You must inform your employees in advance of your decisions on these matters.

IF you still have that email look to see what the creatinine concentration levels were. If you are not taking any supplements I highly recommend you see a physician. Because that 40 OZ water limit tells me you did not dilute because of water just based on how much you said you drank.

I want to be as brief as I can. This is why I am concerned. I know several people that are today having problems with their Kidneys after years of taking NSAIDs. In fact, my eGFR labs show I am at the beginning stages of Kidney failure.

m16ty Thanks this.
  7. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I can’t find the creatinine levels listed anywhere on the test.
    I don’t take any supplements or anything. Other than my 2 year dot physicals, I probably haven’t been to the dr in 20 years. Maybe I should go.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.