Dry bulk craziness

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Just passing by, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    Pulling a dry bulk load to help out dispatch. I am a liquid bulk driver. No training on these things. This tanker will not dry out! Four trained drivers came by. Three days in a row. Different tractors, different blowers... Hours upon hours... Still wet. What gives? Even Qala can't dry this swampy monster.
    Put a whole new spin on "dry" bulk. Anyone else ever been frustrated with a trailer like that?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    set it on fire - sorry thats all I have.

Just passing by Thanks this.
  4. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Product? Airate. Why is it wet to begin with ?

Just passing by Thanks this.
  5. Just passing by

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    I don't know but it was cleaned at Trans Matic. It was supposed to be clean, that is. But by golly... I will stick with my smooth bore. Sorry, dispatch. No more favors.

sabresfan 76, okiedokie and austinmike Thank this.
  6. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    You have to open it up, run the blower hard so its generating hot air, anad just let it sit and run, maybe a couple of hours or so of continuous running, If that don't do it then I have to believe you have canvas pads and got them wet, when you clean out canvas bottoms, you never, never,never get them wet, ever.
    your probably going to have to pull the bottoms off the trailer(s) toss the pads and replace them, have to remove the screens clean out the air chamber of the now hardened crap from getting them wet and reweld the screen beck into them.
    Oh yea did I say never get the canvas pads wet, ever.
    If you have flowcones (which look like little umbrellas) somewhere between 3 and 6 of them , those you can wet wash and even haul liquid in them, but not in the canvas one.

7. Powder Joints

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Dry bulk is easier to pull no surge, But he key word is dry. as in no water even cleaning them unless you know exactly what your doing.
    I hauled dirty water in dry bulk trailer for a few months, no problem, II/V Cement to Vegas and dirty water from Mountain Pass to Santa Clarita Waste Water.
    I would vent the manholes and leave the bottoms open back to Tehachapi, close it up load cement for the next day. Flow Cones not canvas..

8. Powder Joints

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I pull smoothbores now for Kemira, pay is better than cement, just watch out for the smackin the back after you take off.

sabresfan 76 and okiedokie Thank this.
  9. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Hauling 15 lbs/gal product. Half full and up to weight in a 2 holer.

10. Powder Joints

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Most of our loads weight around 11.50 per lb to 12.50 per lb depending on the iron content

11. Just passing by

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    Mystery solved. Trailer has a radiator kind of thing on the front to cool off air going into tank... so no hot air, no drying up. I never got trained for this. You are supposed to unplug pigtail when drying it... It took 4 dry bulk drivers to finally figure it out. Plus little old me. Someone give me a liquid load asap!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.