DS changed me over to PAM - have ???

Discussion in 'PAM' started by pksteph, Mar 29, 2012.

1. pksteph

pksteph Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2012
    TX
    Hi everyone!

I'm trying to go through Driver Solutions and get trained at c1 in Ft. Worth. They first had me set up with USA Trucks, but, now they've switched me over to PAM (over work history requirements of all things... serves me right for being home with my child. :biggrin_25523:).

So, anyway, what's PAM like? Will I get stuck team driving with some dude? (lol I'm not really sure what to think of that one.) Do you get good miles? Decent paychecks? Ok trucks to drive? How is management?

I know... question, questions, questions like every newbie that posts around here. :biggrin_25514: <------- any help will be appreciated!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Klatu

Klatu Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Argyle, TX
    They changed quite a few people over to Pam when I was there. I think they do team alot. Is that cowgirl still out there on the range? Remember, Idle only. She will come have a chat with you.:biggrin_2556: Other than that, they are all good people. The range is small and crummy though.

4. pksteph

pksteph Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2012
    TX
    I'm not there yet. I'm just doing all the preliminary stuff with driver solutions right now. All I know if that my driving record came back clear, they haven't checked with my current employer yet, and, I my application got switched over to PAM. He wants me to fill out an affidavit and have two people sign it saying "yes, she was a SAHM and not a prisoner for that year". lol (Ok... maybe it didn't literally say that. haha!)

If everything works out right I'm supposed to be there mid April.

5. mk32 oh

mk32 oh Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2012
    I go monday to start school they had me with usa and changed to pam. You had to drive team for 6 months then can go solo.

6. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Most likely you will not team unless they have another female in your area. Your trainer may or may not be a male, will get done faster if you don't mind one though.

(this is all assuming your name is steph and that you are a female. ;) )

7. pksteph

pksteph Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2012
    TX
    lol yeah I'm female. I don't mind a male trainer. I just want a good one!

8. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    It may be a blessing in disguise !!!

Pam seems to have their stuff together,

at least better than USA.

Have Fun, Enjoy, and Good Luck !!

airforcetoo Thanks this.
  9. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Ask for Rollin'. lol he's good ;)

As for teaming...they'll set you up with a male trainer if you don't mind, but they will not partner you with a male team member. Training is temporary and will be over in 3 weeks-ish. Plus, there are not very many female trainers to go around. Same goes for female drivers, but after you are upgraded to first seat, all PAM is concerned about is getting you behind the wheel, so if there is no female in your area needing a female team driver, then you will be solo. :)

10. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    As for your other questions...

I no longer work for PAM, so any info I give is outdated, but what I can give is personal experience.

Good miles? Yes, it can happen. You have to realize that PAM is a training company with over 2000 trucks, not to mention other companies such as Swift, USA, Schneider, Werner...All these companies pay their drivers low cpm so they are able to undercut accounts to get the loads. Sure there are oodles and oodles of loads going out, plenty for everyone at every company...but you may not always be available or in the area of said oodles. Now, when I worked for PAM, it was rare for me to finish a week with less than 2000 as a solo driver. A lot of it is right place/right time. There are many areas where there are so many loads, you will barely have time to put your qualcom on the floor after sending in your empty when you get your next load. Other places, not so good. Plus, I always seemed to be getting calls asking if I had the hours to repower some load, or if I could do a dispatcher a favor and run this (low mileage) hot load for him/her. Anytime I was asked to do something, I never said no, unless I didn't have the hours to do it. This puts your truck number in their mind, and when they need something, they see where you (and other drivers who don't say no) are sitting as compared to their load.

Plus, I never went home. lol I know with a family you won't be able to do this. I would stay out for 2-3 months at a time, go home whenever I felt like it, stayed home for about 8-10 days, and got back out on the road.

Equipment? I know that PAM is in the process of replacing all of their old trucks. They started this right when I quit last year. You still may end up with an older pos, but if that is the case, you won't be in it for very long. All of the new trucks they are buying are manuals, from what I understand. Now, there is no telling if you get a newer truck that the driver before you didn't f^%k it up, but that's just the chance you take lol

Management....I can't really answer anything about this because I'm not sure who is still around. From what I have heard and read, things have changed a lot since I left last May...better getting answers about that from the guys still around. :)

11. Rollin2003

Rollin2003 Light Load Member

May 9, 2011
    Really? Don't tell too many people I do need time off sometimes.

Currently there are two female trainers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.