dual right turn lanes, onto a 3 lane road

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by carptransport, Jan 7, 2019.

1. carptransport

carptransport Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2018
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    i know jug handles are illegal and you are supposed to button hook, BUT...what a bout a dual right turn lane into a 3 lane road, can you then use the outside lane(left-right turn lane) and creep left into lane 3, and end up in the middle lane? seems smarter than cutting of the left right turn lane drivers?.... i have searched everywhere and cant find this answer... and will you fail the cdl test for doing so?

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Omega1

Omega1 Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oregon
    I'll chime in on this one. I too have researched this online and there are various opinions, but I have never heard of any law pertaining to this question. We all know what lane to be in when turning left. I have had this debate with many drivers concerning right hand turns when there are more than one lane turning right. I was taught and always believed that you use the further most right lane when turning right. I'm sure this thread and my opinion will create a ruckus among many drivers. I always cheat as far left as I can, but never leave enough room for a 4 wheeler to get smashed trying to get in on my right side. Every time I encounter this, I proceed very slowly..especially when there is traffic. It's a no win situation. I feel that I can control the left side better, than I can the trailer swing on the right. I have actually stopped in this situation and put my hand out the left side window to stop traffic that was trying to come around me. When choosing lanes, I was always taught and still follow "right lane turning left and right lane turning right". Okay...now let the comments commence. This is a very valid question, especially for a new driver.

O.Henry, tscottme, roshea and 3 others Thank this.
  4. carptransport

Dec 11, 2018
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    right lane does make sense for 2 right turn lanes into 2 lanes, but with a 3rd lane...... guess for the cdl test i will just stay right and wait, and piss off anyone coming up in the outside right turn lane...even though most in the outside lane never turn to the middle lane anyways, they usuallly end up in the 3rd lane so they dont have to turn the wheel an extra inch or 2.....

laaylor and Omega1 Thank this.
  5. Omega1

Omega1 Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oregon
    Good choice, especially for a CDL road test. Don't worry about pissing off the other drivers. Just be safe. On a side note, I highly doubt your CDL tester will put you in that situation...but you never know. Good luck to you.

6. laaylor

laaylor Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Creston, Wa
    We have this situation getting off of 465 to post road in Indianapolis from one direction... my thought is this: I’ve been making this turn for years... the outside right hand turn lane is the correct lane for a truck to be in... there are 3 lanes to turn into, but the outside 3rd lane is actually an exit lane back onto 465; so I swing wide while carefully watching my trailer tandems and slowly keep my trailer in the middle lane which is the outside thru lane... I just carefully watch where the cars go and let them go around me if they don’t stay in their inside lane.....

carptransport Thanks this.
  7. carptransport

Dec 11, 2018
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    well unfortunately the cross streets down here in fl all have dual turn lanes and US1 is 3 lanes wide, hense why i am asking

8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    ::::Whimpers::::

:)

9. Omega1

Omega1 Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oregon
    There is no right or wrong answer to your question. I can only tell you what I believe and the way I approach the situation. I have talked to a lot of old time drivers and they all tend to agree with me...never leave any room for a 4 wheeler to get mashed on your right side.

tscottme and carptransport Thank this.
  10. laaylor

laaylor Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Creston, Wa
    :) or left hand side in the case of this being a left hand turn....

tscottme Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I know of no law. And approach the problem a bit differently. There is no ruckus here.

One thing I do is take over both of those lanes just prior to the turn depending on where the tandem needs to clear that corner curb on the right turn. There will not be enough room for anyone to get by on the right ever. This eliminates pretty much anything possible before during and after that turn.

Whatever the tractor has to do to make it happen it will do. Once in a while I have had to take over the entire intersection by weight and sit when people wont move. The Law will come along soon enough and clear em out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.