dual right turn lanes, onto a 3 lane road

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by carptransport, Jan 7, 2019.

1. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Kindly drive off a cliff scott...

o_O

Lepton1, scottied67 and not4hire Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Matt43324

Matt43324 Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2014
    You know I was wondering this the other day actually.... I think in reality since driving laws ultimately brought down to the States, it would probably be up to the state ultimately. But at the same time.... Sometimes you got to do what you got to do you know I mean? Just as usual proceed with caution pretend like everyone around you is retarded and chasing a lawsuit and you will be just fine

4. PTSCummins

PTSCummins Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2018
    uhhhh.....correct me if I'm wrong but I believe a jug handle implies crossing over into the oncoming lane of traffic. If the lane over is still going your direction that's not considered a jug handle...at least here anyways.

Either way, taking the right of way from oncoming traffic is a no-no, but taking it from parallel traffic isn't for us.

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
  6. Dumdriver

Dumdriver Road Train Member

Jul 8, 2014
    East Coast
    That’s only for single lane right hand turns. The book doesn’t say anything about dual lane right hand turns.

It does say on dual left turns to always take the outside lane.

I’m actually surprised that experienced drivers have such issues with this scenario. It’s basic geometry- once you start that turn your blind side instantly becomes your drivers side. That’s what you need to protect. You can see crystal clear thru all 3 mirrors your entire right side.

As always, the current situation dictates what is the safest course of action, but as a rule on dual turning lanes I take the outside lane. I guess we all gotta do what works best for us though. That’s just what works for me

But hey, you covered all this already awhile back, didn’t you? ;-)

Lepton1 and Matt43324 Thank this.
  7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    So cross over into the outside lane and cut off or hit other vehicles turning in the outside lane? Seems like a good idea to me. Carry on.

8. PTSCummins

PTSCummins Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2018
    I don't think anyone said cross into the outside lane onto vehicles....more block that lane if you have to in order to achieve a safe turn. That's totally acceptable here if at a stop light or sign.

9. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I posted a comment (top of page 4) talking about the method taught at Stevens Transport. At first, I couldn’t believe and understand why they were teaching it that way. To me it seemed like using the same method as left-lane turns made more sense. After a year of driving I finally understood their point. It has to do with our side mirrors and accident prevention where a driver runs over a car. Keeping the lane closest to the curb prevents this.

Now, the truth is there may not be any books mentioning exactly how to do this multi-lane right turn. It’s up to how big companies teach their drivers, and if there are road signs signaling drivers which lane they should be in. For example, on I-10 exit 68 in CA, there is a three-lane exit ramp with signs instructing trucks to only use the center lane (image below). I believe this is to prevent a traffic gridlock between two trucks attempting to make a right turn at the same time, and not so much about CA making a statement that all trucks should be in the inner lane on multi-lane right turns. Otherwise, these signs would be all over CA, and they’re not.

On another note, when making right turns, you have to rely on your smaller lower mirror to continue seeing your tires. So there certainly is a bigger blind spot if making a right turn on the inner lane. Now, if you can make the right turn without your trailer traveling onto another lane, then it would be no problem.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Reason for edit: Typo
  10. Dumdriver

Dumdriver Road Train Member

Jul 8, 2014
    East Coast
    If you turn from the inside lane your left side is completely blind as soon as you start your turn and remains that way until the turn is complete.
    Turning from the outside you have eliminated that. You can see the most dangerous part through out the entire turn.

I see plenty of these everyday in the northeast, I couldn’t imagine take a DUAL lane turn from the inside. A single lane turn- you absolutely hug the curb to prevent cars from sneaking inside you, but on a dual that’s not necessary. They cars are gonna be there, gotta make sure you can see them.

Hey, do whatever works for you, I understand. This is certainly one of those topics that people tend to disagree on for whatever reason. It’s all good.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.