Dump truck wheel base question

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Sturgill, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Sturgill

Sturgill Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2020
    Hello, looking to get a TRI-AXLE dump here is Kentucky. I have a few that Im going to look at later this week. My question is about the wheel base, one is Westernstar with 18' box and 250" W/B the others are 17' , 16' boxes and W/B in the 204" to 228" range. I'll be hauling asphalt and grave mostly on road. Is there any thing better or worse in the longer wheel base? (I understand longer is not as easy in tight spots). Im leaning towards the Westernstar. Thanks for any input!!!

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    We used a standard superliner 500 mack tractor converted to aluminum dump bed with gate and PTO. Hauled 20 ton of stone regularly with it despite being overweight on two bridges. Its not huge in wheelbase which is a advantage backing up to a paver in small jobs relatively speaking. Blacktop took care of itself in that thing regularly as well. Wheelbase was probably around 220 or so. nothing long. Its long enough.

4. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    The longer wheel base will allow you to install a drop axle on it in the future to run heavier if you want to make it a 5 axle. The 205 is gonna be pretty short and compact. 220 is about standard average length for a tandem straight dump truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.