Dump truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Yankee12, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Yankee12

Yankee12 Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Texas
    I've had some pneumatic trucks on the road for a while now. I'm looking to expand a bit. I'm toying with the notion of getting some dump trucks on the road locally. As there is a lot of construction where I'm located at now. Is it worth it? What steps should be (and could be) taken to get a construction company to lease done trucks from me? Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trailerdragger

Trailerdragger Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2017
    A lot of those "construction companies" don't pay, that's why they're always looking for people to haul their dirt.

4. Yankee12

Yankee12 Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Texas
    Any other suggestions for a dump truck then? Or would you say that it's a dead end all together?

5. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    It depends what area of the country that you are in. Some areas do much better with dump trucks than others.

And then there's the issue of actually finding a truck that's in good enough shape to use. They take a tremendous beating because all of the weight is on the truck itself.

And finding good drivers is easier said than done.

But in the right part of the country you can do well with dump trucks.

6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    About 1/3 of my trucking was dump truck ( tri-axle and trailer), it's a cut throat business, or at least it was. Not sure about Texas, but in the Badger, most of the work was by bid, and how odd the same guys got the contract year after year. Repairs will kill ya, because, half the time, you are hauling max ( or more) weight over the toughest terrain, and the only truck that can handle that, I've found, is a Mack.There's better trucking to go into, flatbed seems wide open, and pneumatic tanker is pretty specialized. Unless you know someone in the gravel/paving biz, you'll get the craX loads no one else wants.

LoneCowboy and okiedokie Thank this.
  7. Yankee12

Yankee12 Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Texas
    Thanks for the replies fellas. Stay safe out there.

8. tericorlepvk

tericorlepvk Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2018
    What is a good price for used dump truck?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.