Dump trucking in Arkansas?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Zonno, Jun 27, 2022.

1. Zonno

Zonno Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2018
    I started a very similar thread in the tanker/dump truck section, but hopefully it’s ok to post this here in that it may get more replies.

A search on Indeed in Arkansas (basically the entire state, not just one particular area) yields many jobs with starting pay of over $20 hourly, some which don’t necessarily require experience in dump trucks, whereas in other states such as AL, FL, and MS, I can’t find anything above $17 hourly, and they all want years of exp. (there’s one in AL that starts out $15 hourly and want 5 years of dump exp.).

Research tells me the cost of living is fairly inexpensive in AR (a bit lower than GA where I currently reside), and also that the winters are pretty mild. I was warned in the other thread about moving to WI, IN, or OH due to the brutal winters those states have, although I can assume that AR will be a bit colder, especially the northern part of the state.

Provided I don’t mind relocating, can it be a good career choice to move to a state where I can get a job that will pay more than where I’m at now? I’m currently making $16.25 hourly (with OT) so I’m doing ok financially. I’m a few months shy of having 2 years of exp., so it may not be a bad idea to stay another year or two; the more exp., the better pick I’d have at jobs. I just don’t want to stagnate at a lower-income company for all of my life when I could’ve relocated to get hired on by a company that pays better.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I entered "CDL-A dump truck driver" and "Nevada"
    Surprised how many jobs are available and many in the $20 - $32 hourly pay range.

4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    U.S. Silica
    Reno, Nevada
    12 mos. experience
    Will train.
    The Company is headquartered in Katy, Texas, and has an office in Reno, Nevada.

Schedule: Thursday – Sunday; 8 p.m.- 6 a.m.

Pay: $30/hr
    Home | U.S. Silica
    [​IMG]

5. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    Holy smokes! Them's poverty wages right there!

Anecdote time: Last week, I found myself sitting at a traffic light somewhere around Isanti, MN. I happened to look at the bright-colored marquee in the KFC parking lot. "Starting pay $16/hour!" About 5 minutes before that, I saw a McD's with a big sign painted in the front window "Starting pay $15/hr!"

Our lowest-paying driving position is for a zero experience CDL grad, spotting at a production facility. It's $20.

Anything less than $20 is giving your time away for free.

Badmon Thanks this.
  6. Zonno

Zonno Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2018
    Haven’t searched Nevada, but that’s my point. Some particular states are loaded with dump truck jobs with that kind of pay range, whereas others barely have anything over $15 hourly. Plenty of dump truck jobs, they just don’t pay as much. I wonder why that is…

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    New Interstate-11 is being built and some dump drivers have moved to Nevada because of that. Pay is decent and no state income taxes and no taxes at the grocery store.
    Interstate-11 is planned to run from the Mexico Border in Arizona to the Canadian Border in either Washington or Idaho.
    ~
    [​IMG]

Zonno Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.