Dynasys Generator outlet reading nearly 135-140 volts?!

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Joeziah, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Joeziah

Joeziah Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2016
    So I just had this thing installed. Plugged in my 4k pure sine wave inverter/charger with automatic switch into the outlet for the 15amp output from the generator.

To my surprise my inverter would not switch over. So I read the voltage coming out of the wall......135v, fluxuates from 130-140v.

I was told when I purchased the unit that it put out Pure Sine Wave power, so the only thing I can think is that my inverter is reading the high voltage and refusing to switch to charging/pass through mode.

Is this normal or is the unit bad? There was a guy here that said his did that and some of his electronics stopped working after only a few days.

Is there a setting that needs to be changed, the shop manager said that its normal to put out 140v but under a load it goes down to 120v...

That seems like its not right, lots of things will burn up quickly at such high voltages....especially electronics...

Any solutions, I can't see keeping the unit if it has this issue.

Maybe a 120v outlet regulator to step the voltage down before it gets to my electronics...seems cheesy...unit is brand new...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    There's no adjustment on the voltage regulator?

4. Joeziah

Jan 2, 2016
    Not sure, I'm not going to mess with it because if this doesn't work perfectly I'm having it taken off because I did not pay 11 grand for it not to work perfectly.

I just plugged my UPS into it, its very picky and won't run on modified sine wave power...lo and behold...won't run on this generator....

5. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Where did you purchase it from?

6. Joeziah

Jan 2, 2016
    APUCenter in Stafford, MO - I'm actually in their parking lot doing their overnight "test" to make sure it works as its supposed to, needless to say I'm not a happy camper.

I'm going to give them time to rectify it but there is no excuse for a $11,000 system to be using a cheap modified sine wave generator head...

Otherwise they get to take all this crap right back off...

edit: Just to clarify, I suspect its either a modified sine wave or a really dirty pure sine wave. My inverter charger has a setting to allow for more noisy input so I switched it and it seems to be able to charge with that. I'll update to figure out if the voltage issue is resolved.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    Super-Trucker, JonJon78 and magoo68 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.