E-Logs..... have they (government) ironed out all the wrinkles or ?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by LeavinHome2018, Jul 6, 2018.

1. LeavinHome2018

LeavinHome2018 Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2018
    So got some info new to me maybe old to you

Just wondering if this scenario still might exist ?

You start your day at 6am. you check your truck for all the stuff you have to check it for before you take off.
    you spend time doing that... you hit traffic on the way to drop off a load you finally get there 5 hours pass,
    now you there 5 hours pass to un load 2 more to load its gonna take 4 hours to get back is that you day. sitting in traffic not getting paid not moving.... sitting 5 hours or whatever waiting to unload and maybe load or whatever and not being able to stop the clock while you maybe take a nap while the guys are unloading and maybe take a 2 hour nap while avoid traffic and so your fresh to drive.
    Please tell me they've fixed some of these bugs in this new Elog deal....
    please tell me I'm not going to have to deal with some unFlexible thing like this.. that won't let you log off while your actually not working/driving.... oh please

and please point out anything Ignorant I've said.....please be nice ...

thanks all

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Lol... Yeah you can go off duty... But that 14 hr clock keeps ticking away. I drove a whopping 30 miles today from TS to receiver and back to TS... The receiver is closed today (only office and maintenance personnel working) so I have to wait until tomorrow to unload... But that 40 minutes screwed me out of a chance to get a 34 hr reset, that had I gotten I could have taken my next load clear to the receiver instead of handing it off to another driver for the last 500 miles. And for those that are thinking I should have called the receiver... This receiver is horrible about answering a phone or returning a message. I tried 5 calls and 2 messages over a 4 hour time frame. Did me no good.

4. LeavinHome2018

Jun 20, 2018
    pardon my Ignorance.....what s a "receiver"?? Explain that one to me if you could please
    and what the "reset" thing is as well?
    thnx

5. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Reciever is where you deliver a load (they "receive" your load)... With 34 consecutive hours of off duty your 70 hour clock is reset to a fresh 70 hours.

I think you best just worry about learning about the hos rules and regs, and how to drive before you get to worried about the eld to much... In fact the eld will probably keep you from screwing up you log book, which can get you in big trouble depending on what you did wrong. Just my opinion.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  6. LeavinHome2018

Jun 20, 2018
    Ok gotcha......still a noob here .....so theres no way they can tell you've worked off the clock.....
    is that just what you have to do now...... seems silly to have to do that..... makes me not want to get in this trucking thing now....

7. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    @LeavinHome2018 thats the whole point of the eld... Is that its harder to work off the clock and get away with it.

If you do anything off the clock related to that truck, especially drive it, you are asking for big trouble to come knocking on your door.

Edit: removed incorrect HOS example.... Man I must have been more tired than I realized.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  8. James122

James122 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2018
    United States
    I got lucky....Never had to be on the dock for loading and unloading. In fact while at the shipper receiver I would check in then go to bed. Was on sleep birth that whole time. Kept 14 going, but my 11 was intact.

Last Time Around and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  9. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    This is how I do it as well.

James122 Thanks this.
  10. James122

James122 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2018
    United States
    Only way that makes sense to me.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  11. cjb logistics

cjb logistics Heavy Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    5 hours to drive to customer, 5 hours to load you still have at least 3.0 hours of drive time remaining with a 30 minute break, and two 15 minute PTI's.
    Loading would be on line 4 (on duty not driving).
    Three hours gets you a long way down the road before your 14 is shot.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.