E7 front crank seal

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by asavage1576, Feb 22, 2017.

1. asavage1576

asavage1576 Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Dallas,Tx
    Doing a side job this weekend. 96 CH Mack with E7 engine. I've done plenty of them but I work hourly at my main job so I have no idea what the book time is. Wanna charge the guy a fair rate. I work for 80 per hour, how many hours does this job call for? Also resealing the timing cover. I'm thinking 8-10 hours. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    If your hourly at a job, have your advisor look up a quote for the time.
    80$/hr is overkill unless you actually have a shop. Shop rate goes towards insurance, taxes, and equipment, tech may only get 25$ of that but that's the industry.
    If you are "shade treeing" this guy, then offer him 40$ for each hour. It's not like you're paying taxes on the money.

(I'm not trying to be rude, but I still install clutches and front end parts on light vehicles in my downtime. I normally quote 25-30$/hr, start to finish. Shop rate for an ASE tech in my area is around 100-120$, so they save money while I pocket some as well. But I can't offer insurance if something fails, and operate on cash only, but have no overhead. In return, I garner a lot of work on "word" alone and always have something to knock out in my free time on the weekends.)

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  4. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Timing gear cover and/or gasket renew
    CH 9.8
    w/AC, Add................90-99 1.0
    w/PS, Add................ 0.7

asavage1576 Thanks this.
  5. asavage1576

Mar 18, 2013
    Dallas,Tx
    Thanks

6. asavage1576

Mar 18, 2013
    Dallas,Tx
    40 ab hour on side jobs?! No way, way too cheap. Dealer around here 120 plus. I'm coming to him, bringing my tools and truck. I want to make money not run a charity. We have a skill a lot of people don't have, and I don't feel bad one bit about charging an honest hourly rate.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  7. snowman_w900

snowman_w900 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2010
    80$ an hour? I know your not running a charity, but if you leave something loose and something comes apart and tears up something else or the seal leaks, are YOU going to honor your work?

I learned a long time ago doing side work can come with more liabilty than its worth. At 80 an hour, i hope your insured so if something does go wrong, it can be justified as to why your charging him so much.

SAR Thanks this.
  8. asavage1576

Mar 18, 2013
    Dallas,Tx
    Absolutely. If the man is paying me, you bet I'm honoring my work. 80 is a very fair price around my area. Shops are 90-110 range and the dealers are the 140-150 range. On side jobs I keep it easy. Brakes, wheel seals etc. some electrical diag. I like jobs that I can finish in a day and get paid. I'm slowly building up clientele to see if I want to take it on full time. iF I messed up something and had to do the job twice....I'd be screwed at only 40 per hour

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.