Easiest way to quit a mega carrier?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by dave01282000, Jan 31, 2023.

1. dave01282000

dave01282000 Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2021
    Ohio
    When you quit at a mega, is a Qualcomm message to dispatch enough to do the trick...or should I send an official email to HR? Realized I haven't quit a regular job since before joining the service in the late 90s.

Completely fine with giving two week notice, though I can remember reading threads in here where they immediately route you to the terminal to turn in your truck. Would prefer to leave on good terms...no need to unnecessarily burn bridges.

Appreciate the help as always!
    Dave

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mpow66m

mpow66m Heavy Load Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Northeast
    Do whats best for you,they will screw you over more then likely.Turn in truck at your home term.,then quit.

4. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Some of the bigger companies are afraid you will do something to screw them over so they get you to a terminal and cut you loose. I would try to get to my home terminal before I gave any notice, just in case. Smaller companies are less likely to do this. Lot of our members say to never give any notice. I have only had two company driver jobs in the last 20 years and I did give two weeks notice to my terminal manager at QC in Ft Worth. They asked me to stay another week and let me know I could come back anytime.

5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    get as close to your home, or home base terminal.

quit there. this way, the equipment is on company property. if you have a camera, take LOTS of pictures.

many times, when you give notice, they fire you on the spot, as they already now know, you don;t wanna work for them, and they don't want you to damage the truck, sell the load, etc.

it's very rare the company asks you to stay another week or 2, but it can happen, but if you hate the job that much, why stay?

i never gave any notice.

and only ONCE i made the mistake to go back to an employer i left.....lesson learnt......NEVER GO BACK.

6. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Don’t do it right away. Take a home time break. When you do, clean out the truck to your bare minimum. Then put in your notice. If they do bring you to a terminal, then you have very little to pack out.

7. MM71

MM71 Heavy Load Member

Jun 28, 2008
    AZ
    Have some vacation time? Take it ... quit while on vacation. You'll get home close to on time, and not quit under dispatch or abandon a tractor.

8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    With a mega. Just put in for hometime. Clean out ur truck when u get home and tell them u aren't coming back. Leave keys in truck or with ur dispatcher

9. dave01282000

dave01282000 Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2021
    Ohio
    That timing would actually work out well as I'm due for hometime in 2 weeks. Unfortunately "home terminal" is like 400 miles from actual home...but cleaning the truck out at home would be much better than trying to do it in a hurry after quitting.

Figure I can notify them while on hometime and then just have them route me in, toss them the keys and take a one way rental home?

10. idriveaholden

idriveaholden Super Heavy Hauler

Mar 14, 2018
    Yeah good advice here .
    If it’s a mega they will most likely screw you trying to get the truck back to a terminal then offer you a bus ticket while blaming you for anything and everything after. Take pictures…

11. Lostmykey

Lostmykey Medium Load Member

Oct 6, 2019
    If a lot of drivers quit while on hometime/vacation… would the carrier think that someone requesting a few weeks off is planning to quit?

edit: I want to take a few weeks off, but concerned my company might think I’m quitting if I request that much time off.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.