East bound Monteagle Mountain and gear choice.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by camaro68, May 15, 2013.

1. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    If you're loaded heavy and start down an unfamiliar grade turn on your jake, start out with whatever gear puts you 1500-1700 rpm at 30 mph. let it hit 30 then brake with solid even pressure back to 25, let it build back to 30, repeat. If that feels fine, jump up a gear and do the same thing braking 35 to 30, if that feels fine go for 40 to 35, etc... you want your top speed to always equal 1600 rpm's or thereabouts whatever gear your in and when you brake push good and solid, don't ride them, pull it down 5 mph, then let off.

If you don't have a jake and are fully loaded you may have to go as slow as 20 or 25.

I should explain, when I say "feels fine". What I mean is there is adequate time between braking to allow cooling and that when you brake you slow the truck down easily. If you have any doubt, just don't shift up. no shame in taking it too slow your first couple times. There's been more than a few who wish they had.

mcgoo422000, Pound Puppy and camaro68 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Davidlee

Davidlee Medium Load Member

Aug 31, 2012
    In driving school I was told to use one gear lower than the one used to top the hill.

camaro68 Thanks this.
  4. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    that might be a good rule of thumb, but is your truck 350 or 600 horsepower ?? the 600 horsepower truck is gonna top the hill in a higher gear, but braking going down both trucks are equal.

MJ1657, RickG and camaro68 Thank this.
  5. Pound Puppy

Pound Puppy Heavy Load Member

May 31, 2010
    Amherst, OH
    A lot of newer drivers dont know how Monteagle was a long time ago. Im too young and never drove it back then but Ive seen the pictures. Ive talked to old timers about it (no offense guys). A newer guy said to me a few years back, "that Johnny Cash song about Monteagle.... I dont see what the big deal is". Thats when a couple guys at the lunch counter educated him.

OP- take it slow and dont let anyone rush you. Just put on your flashers and take it easy. Guys will get pissy with you, but they will get over it, people who fly down those mountains eventually learn that, that arrogance can get you or someone else a severe case of the Deads. I would follow Danny the truckers advice.

camaro68 Thanks this.
  6. vinsanity

vinsanity Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2009
    South Florida
    If I went 45 in 8th gear my engine would be screaming. I always go down it in 9th using the jake. May have to tap the brakes a little if I'm on the heavy side. Haven't smoked them yet.

camaro68 Thanks this.
  7. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    There are signs posted with varying speed limits depending upon your gross weight. Use whatever gear you need to in order to run that speed down the hill. If you're doing it right, your RPM's will be between 1500 and 1800 so that your engine brake will be better able to hold you back. If you don't have jakes, drop another gear or two and go a little slower. If you've got to touch the brakes more than a couple times on the way down, you're in too high of a gear and trying to go too fast. If you're riding the brakes the whole way down, you've got no business behind the wheel of a truck. Seems every time I'm down that way, though, I see a few trucks smoking the brakes as they fly down that hill and I'd hate to see what would happen if they came around one of the curves and found the road blocked....whether it was a wreck, landslide, broke down vehicle, etc...not a good situation to be in.

It isn't a race to see who can reach the bottom the fastest, so take your time and save your brakes in case you need them.

crb and camaro68 Thank this.
  8. The Bird

The Bird Medium Load Member

Apr 10, 2012
    White Rock, NM
    :biggrin_25526: I love what a big deal they make out of Monteagle. 20,000 lbs you should be able to jake it down 11th or 12th. 50,000lbs and I'm down in 6th or 7th.

What do you do for westbound Cabbage, where you never really climb the hill (not including Meacham)?

RickG and camaro68 Thank this.
  9. vinsanity

vinsanity Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2009
    South Florida
    I found that a lot of what they taught us in school had no basis in reality as far as mountains were concerned.

camaro68 and Blind Driver Thank this.
  10. airforcetoo

airforcetoo Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Up in the air
    Do what the signs tell you. Put it in one gear less than the speed required (ie 8th for 45mph, 7th for 35mph etc etc, on a ten speed of course) and then turn on the CB and get yelled at by the super truckers going 70 and laugh because you know that superheroes don't exist. Be safe out here drivers

camaro68 Thanks this.
  11. goblue

goblue Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Grand Prairie, Texas
    I had 40plusK paper load first time down. hit it in 8th with full jake. max 35/40mph...everyone was blowing by me. seems like there are posted speeds for going down that grade, no one seems to see the signs or just totally ignores them. I'm pretty new to otr so its prolly a bigger deal to me than to most drivers who have been out for years.

camaro68 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.