East bound Monteagle Mountain and gear choice.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by camaro68, May 15, 2013.

1. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    Was he a Werner driver? The stupid crap I've seen them do......

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mcgoo422000

mcgoo422000 Medium Load Member

Mar 18, 2012
    That might have been me you passed I don't like that hill.

4. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    In the old days that was good info but today trucks have more power and are more aerodynamic so they can climb easier. One might have to drop two gears over the climbing gear. Then again one side of the mountain might be steeper than the other side. Not every mountain is a perfect triangle.

I always found Monteagle not real big deal but then again I've traveled that mountain more than any other. I only have to brake twice eastbound. If one is not experienced or that mountain is new to them it is better to be safe than sorry until you get use to it. If you have a 10 speed and that light weight you should start out in 7th/full jake and when you get use to it 8th would work. The heavy ones will be crawling in the right lane and the hotdogs will be coming down in the middle lane at 55mph so keep that in mind. Follow that yellow sign that has a speed limit according to your weight and you'll be okay.

I always thought the Nashville side westbound was a little more trickier for the curves. The eastbound Chattanooga side someone has to really mess up with a heavy truck to get in trouble as there is no serious curves unless your truck gets away from you. I have seen a bunch smoking at the bottom. Those people are totally clueless.

camaro68 Thanks this.
  5. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    i like it in the rain with ####### Roehl drivers on thier cells no headsets passing me
    then you get to chattanooga same roehl truck jacked and a 3 hour traffic snarl

camaro68 Thanks this.
  6. old time

old time Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Funny I ran west for many many years with no jake but I always hated Monteagle. One time on the old road, I scared the crapola out of myself and never liked it after that. I will admit it's a breeze today and jakes make life so much easier, but you still need to respect her.

rollin coal and camaro68 Thank this.
  7. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I don't know about these newer engines but Jakes always had the most stopping power at 2100 rpm.
    If I am heavy I let the Jake hold me back between 1900 and 2100. It really cracks at those revs out the straight 5 inchers.

If the jakes are too strong, just move the throttle an eighth inch to switch them off momentarily until you pick up some more speed instead of using a higher gear and tapping the brakes because you're not in a low enough gear.

And 45 is too fast if you are loaded. I do 25 until the last curve going East and then get the heck out of my way!

If I am empty I hit the left lane and keep an eye out for cops.

camaro68 and Hanadarko Thank this.
  8. airforcetoo

airforcetoo Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Up in the air
    Semi Crazy Indeed Sir...

9. crazy4chrome

crazy4chrome Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Chicago Il
    Thanks for that useless bit of information supertrucker.

10. Drifter42

Drifter42 Hopper Heartache

Dec 4, 2011
    Seymour IN
    Put it in Georgia overdrive and roll :D All jokes aside, do the speed that is most comfortable for you. Those runaway ramps have fresh ruts in them every week. I usually go about 45 down it sometimes 50 but I go down it several times a week. Now sometimes I will get off at exit 134 and run over to hwy 56 to go to Sherwood and that road will make you draw up some cloth

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

11. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Anytime buttercup.... About as useless as all the other replies about "I seen a guy do this" and "I once saw that" and "a monkey threw poop at me"

I don't see why it is do hard for everyone to grasp the fact it is a 6* slope and there are PLENTY of signs telling you how fast to go to be safe. If you can't figure out what gear 25mph is, then you need to please park your truck and go back to work at whatever job you left.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.