East bound Monteagle Mountain and gear choice.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by camaro68, May 15, 2013.

1. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    well being from NH i could say mount washington but i dont think there is a truck turnaround up top

camaro68 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. j&jbuck

j&jbuck Light Load Member

Sep 26, 2011
    ward, sc
    let me clarify that 75 mph at on that last little stretch is a bit outlandish. it has happened but 65 is usually the most I actually get to. but its sounds good and reflects on what most drivers do when they see the end in sight. the cb helps a lot with the bears. the guys starting the climb on the other side are a bunch of tattle tales.

camaro68 Thanks this.
  4. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    None of you guys that are unimpressed ever drove across it fully loaded 20+ years ago. It's a cakewalk now.

Sent from my droid using Tapatalk 2

camaro68 Thanks this.
  5. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Wasn't overly impressed with it then either.

Mountains in the west tend to temper you on the stuff out east. They all deserve respect and care in driving them. I am glad for the changes in the roads and the safety improvements made since then. At the same rate, it's also made them a lot more dangerous as well as people don't treat them with the respect they demand.

There are reasons for 25-35 mph speed limits coming down those hills. Too bad others feel it can simply be ignored.

airforcetoo Thanks this.
  6. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    When I was much younger,just starting out,and before it was ' modernized', I thought Monteagle was the baddest thing around.

Then I made a trip out to the left coast and learned about mountains.

MNdriver and camaro68 Thank this.
  7. camaro68

camaro68 Medium Load Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Tennessee
    If you looked at the video I posted earlier of the old Monteagle Mtn. I-24 hwy. I thought about those old cabover trucks. Back then it was rare to see a truck with a hood. The cabover drivers had good view of everything. How many of you would go back to driving a cabover?

8. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    I learned on a cab-over back in the early 70's , very seldom saw a hood back then due to length laws in the various states. I would drive one again,if it fit the type work I was doing. I kind of miss them.
    Being older, I would get tired of climbing up and down to get in and out, and some of them rode a little rougher, but the view was a better.Most COE's were more manuverable getting into tight spots. Depends on wheel-base.

It's all just driving a #### old truck.

camaro68 Thanks this.
  9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I've been on left coast mountains, yeah those are serious grades. There were a lot of drivers killed on monteagle before the improvements were made several years ago. Jake brakes were rare and 25mph down hill was how you did it. There was always somebody with brakes on fire on the shoulder or up in the runoff ramps, and no joke seemed like a driver killed every couple or weeks. Probably drivers who'd never been over it before. These days I don't understand how anyone with half a brain would ever get the brakes hot even without a jake.

camaro68 Thanks this.
  10. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    You have to be joking right?

airforcetoo Thanks this.
  11. moosc

moosc Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Lincolnton NC
    I had a ptl that didn't stop and just went down. The smokey chased him all the way down. I followed them down don't thank he ever let of the brakes so much smoke it was crazy

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.