Easter Weekend Outbreak Pending

Discussion in 'Truckers' Weather & Road Conditions' started by x1Heavy, Apr 11, 2020.

1. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    I was shutdown at Monteagle when the tornado went thru the Chattanooga area. Which was a good thing-I almost shutdown in North Georgia in that area(Ringgold/Tunnel Hill/Dalton). There was heavy rainfall and one heck of a lightning show on the mountain,but thankfully that was it!

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WIlee81

WIlee81 Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2019
    SE Louisiana
    Yeah there was plenty of damage in the Dalton area. The worst of what I saw was north of the Gadsden area on 59. If crews hadn't gotten out right away to clear trees I would not have had a good day lol.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    We are setting up for round two.

However Little Rock and SPC thinks its early yet for show time approx late sat into sunday.

Particularly southern AR, LA, MS, AL, GA and part of FL

mjd4277 Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
  6. Kirbs

Kirbs Light Load Member

Jun 6, 2019
    I was in the Chattanooga area 30 mins before the tornado touched down. Dont think I've ever been that scared before. It was relatively calm then out of nowhere I'm bombarded with unbelievable rainfall & wind. The type of heavy rain where you cant see even with wipers. I think the scariest part is how it kept getting progressively worse to the point I thought a tornado must be near me, but I wouldn't even be able to see it hit me because it was night. What also made it bad is that I was the only vehicle on the road on a major interstate. It made me realize everyone must have sought shelter and i was the only ####### out there driving. I slowed down to 15mph in a 70 and it still felt like I was being blown to the side, and this is considering I was loaded at about 75k. Thankfully a pilot was 5 miles away but those 5 miles felt like 50.Thought for sure I wasn't going to make it that day. I check forecasts before I leave now.

I wish my dash cam recorded better at night, because man that was wild. Tornado weather is not to be taken lightly.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    Muddydog79 and mjd4277 Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That is usually how nighttime tornados kill. They are not seen. Only heard as your ears pop and your world comes apart around you.

In storm days have your NOAA radio on one of the working channels constantly following what county you are in. When you are under a warned county or if you observed the other side of the freeway dry up to no traffic then find a strong building. To hell with the truck.

One time in 1994 we had 4 derechos (Land Hurricane Complex) form into one near me at approximately Silver Spring on 29. In between Baltimore and DC. I was flatbed delivering cinder blocks to a garden place. The sky went from silver blue severe clear to cloudy followed by despairing talk on the FM radio and on the CB of terror. I reached the customer and got inside the cinder block building just in time. I had the pleasure of watching the derecho try to flip my 18 wheeler back and forth raising both sets of tires and wheels 4 feet off and slamming it down to try to flip it again.

Bossman would love that phone call if it did get flipped. Wont be the first time it tried. I was upset because of the stupid coffee fixing to make a mess in there right quick.

The building I was in was essentially a blockhouse. But it shook then cracked in places as the wind stood on it and pushed. Snap snap snap. Its a good day to die. But not that day.

8. WIlee81

WIlee81 Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2019
    SE Louisiana
    Get an app for your phone/tablet called radarscope. It's the go to for storm chasers and meteorologists. There's a one time payment, but it gives you so much info. Look up videos on how to interpret radar velocities and what's called the corralation coefficient. Those are gonna be the best indicators of high winds and tornadoes.

9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Here is the 2014 Vilonia Tornado. Its a bit of a long video of the coverage as it happened.

I do not live very far from there and heard it pass by. It was rated a EF4 at 200+ sustained. When it crossed the I-40 it threw cars and trucks around throwing people out onto the grass and pavement etc. Then crushed the town of Vilonia. Before it did it reached a small tree area and pulled the very bark off the trees themselves and snapped all their branches. These trees were naked. And the vortex actually managed to pry the paint off the new bypass pavement itself in spots before climbing a hill to smash a 10 million elementry school that would have been full of children if it arrived a week or so later then into town.

Essentially tornado terror for those unused to them.

mjd4277 Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ok Shreveport is first up for outbreak today.

Individual Supercell Warned storm between Tyler Texas and Lufkin Texas, huge monster. Will reach Shreveport relatively soon, about a hour or so.

Remember storms that are big enough and by themselves have a huge tornado potential.

Shreveport, LA

Edit, the shreveport radar is failed or otherwise taken away so that velocity data is not availible.

There is two storm warnings plus additionals stating it will intensity for shreveport metro and I-20 shortly. Its going to get pretty violent. Cannot do much for the USAF Global Strike Base with all their B52's on the pavement. But it is what it is.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  11. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Dangerous Severe Storms with Strong Tornadoes, Damaging Winds and Flooding Rain Expected in the South | The Weather Channel
    Everyone from Houston on east to Hattiesburg is under the bullseye.
    In a strange coincidence yesterday I was driving east along I-40 from Nashville on my way to North Carolina. Saw the damage path from the tornado that hit there. Around Lebanon there were NUMEROUS trees uprooted and debarked as the tornado ran parallel to the highway. Some of those trees looked like broken matchsticks!!

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.