Easy Recipes/packaging food to take with.

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking in the Truck | Trucker Recipe Forum' started by loose_leafs, Feb 3, 2017.

1. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    Does anybody have any good single serving recipes that I can make easy and take with to package in those cheap Tupperware containers?

I don't like to microwave unless I have to, might use my little plug in stove thing that I bought years ago.

Trying to get less fat/keep from becoming diabetic and keep the blood pressure low enough. Stress takes enough of a toll on that.

I literally munch on raw fruits and vegetables at times but that gets old and boring, and they usually spoil within a week.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Theres hamburger helper,its cheap and it's good.Otherwise head to Wal-Mart they have a lot of single serving stuff.

4. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    That stuff is loaded with all kinds of salts and really not much better than fast food.

I'm Looking more for homemade stir frys and steamers that you can pack at home and heat up on demand later.

As a single guy, I'm not that creative when it comes to cooking.

5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Search this forum for "lunch box ovens" and "cooking in the truck". Lots of stuff for you there.

loose_leafs Thanks this.
  6. Crazytrucker77

Crazytrucker77 Heavy Load Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    When I cooked on my truck I bought a rice cooker steamer combo and used it to cook meats and vegetables stuff like that make stir fries. Walmart sells vegetables in bags that don't have to be frozen there in the vegetable section. The steamer is about 30 bucks and can cook a half pound of boneless chicken breast in about 30 minutes with some vegetables.

7. TheRipper

TheRipper Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    I like a crockpot personally. Throw a tyson roast kit in there for 8 hours on low while you sleep, and you got good food for a few days.

They sell slow cooker bags to put in the crockpot to make clean up non existant

417bigK and pattyj Thank this.
  8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Those roast kits looks good.

9. tlalokay

tlalokay Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    I don't have a fridge and only have a single burner electric stove.

I always have corn and flour tortillas with me, canned beans, mozzarella cheese, instant rice, canned broth, taco seasoning, sour cream and avocados for tacos, burritos and quesadillas. The cheese will last about 3 days as well as the sour cream.

Keep angel hair pasta and jars of spaghetti sauce, alfredo or tomato.

I also keep cans of progresso soup and saltine crackers.

Then there are cans of tuna.

Keep sliced bread and french loaf as well for tuna or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and for bread with the pasta or soup.

I also buy cream cheese for toast and jam in the morning.

Then there are apples, bananas and pears for breakfast. I also keep oatmeal and farina when I feel like cooking breakfast.

For condiments I have olives, hot sauce, salt & pepper, garlic powder and red chili flakes.

I also keep with me a small boiling pot and a non-stick saute pan.

Then there are the typical chips, peanuts and cookies which I don't eat much of but buy them anyway so that I don't have to cough up the exorbitant rates that truck stops charge to satisfy a sweet tooth every once in a while.

I do all that shopping at Walmart before leaving for a couple weeks on the road. I shop every 4 or 5 days and usually only have to stock up on a few of those items. I eat well and even lose weight without trying by eating as close to homecooked food as possible.

The tacos and burritos I make with the guacamole, spanish rice, refried beans, cheese and sour cream are really good and so is the alfredo pasta with olives and toasted garlic french bread. The soups are pretty good- I like the minestrone and tomato rotini by progresso. Sometimes I'll fry up the tuna first in some olive oil then add the soups to that for some protein.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.