Eaton 13spd aux box install

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by WhiskeyJack, Dec 27, 2020.

1. WhiskeyJack

WhiskeyJack Bobtail Member

Dec 27, 2020
    Good evening, I had the splitter valve go bad and break the cylinder off on a 13spd RTOF-14813. I got the new valve replaced and everything seems to be good again on the aux box. My question is how or is there any tricks to getting the aux box to slide back into the main box. My aux box seems to be an older model and does not have the tapered bearings. Just wondering how Im gunna get the two countershafts to line up perfect and slide into the bearing holes on the main box?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Some you can take rear bearing caps off, make a plate and bolt counter shafts to plate, and housing.

baha Thanks this.
  4. Inderjit

Inderjit Medium Load Member

Sep 17, 2017
    It can be a bit tricky getting it together with the transmission installed but its doable.
    Remove both the big dowels and clean the holes on both housings. Glue the gasket to the rear housing. Remove the rear bearing covers from the rear housing. Make sure the range fork is all the way back, engaged in low range and the splitter is in gear.
    I have always used 2 long 3/4" bolts in the dowel holes to install the rear section.
    Lift the rear section up into place with a transmission jack and get both 3/4" guide bolts in place. slide the rear section up to about 2 1/2" gap between the main and auxiliary section and remove the jack. Get underneath and remove the right guide bolt and lift the auxiliary section with your knees so it goes in about 1/2" high on the right side to engage the gear teeth.
    It should slide into place. Put the right guide pin back in and put a few bolts in and snug them up not tight. If it wont slide in try lifting it a bit higher. The counter-shafts droop a bit from bearing clearance and how loose they are in the housing.
    You should be able to gently tap the rear counter-shafts all the way ahead in the rear housing. The yoke should rotate freely with no binding.
    If so put the original dowel pins in and all the bolts and tighten them. You should be good to go.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    baha, WhiskeyJack and VWbeagle Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.