eaton fuller 10 speed to a 13 speed

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by BAYOU, Oct 4, 2010.

1. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
    What would it take to swap a 10 speed out for a 13speed im thinking of doing this because my truck is a 435hp for what i have read 10 and 13th gear is the same so my top end would not change right? i think the truck would pull better if the gears were closer togather 7th,8th and 9th takes some time to get going

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I had a 'kit' installed in my 05 660 that worked great. it added a second switch to the shifter that allowed me to 'split' 5, 6 and 7.
    On hills and mountains, it was great.
    It only cost me a couple hundred dollars. the mechanics told me the gears already exist in the tranny, they just needed this shift kit to make them operational.
    You might ask about that.

4. country29

country29 Medium Load Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Arkansas
    you had a rtloc 9speed, that is a 9 convertible to a 13, and yes the 9c's have the big back box with the same gears internally as a 13. all werner trucks have them to bring resale value up at trade time, and alot of other fleets are spec-ing them as well.

5. melpromud

melpromud Medium Load Member

Jan 29, 2010
    camden ny
    You had a 9 speed not a 10.:biggrin_2556:

6. melpromud

melpromud Medium Load Member

Jan 29, 2010
    camden ny
    I think I would have that 435 turned up if pulling power is what your after. Being able to split will only help a little. More engine power will help alot and Im sure turning it up will cost alot less than a tranny swap.

7. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    careful some of the 435,s have alum piston if you turn it up to much you are asking for trouble.

8. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Some engines are up-rateable and some aren't without major work and expense. N-14 at 435 is probably as high as it should be, unless yours was upgraded to the same specifications as a Red top Cummins, then it could go up to 525 horsepower rating. That is quite a different setup than the lower powered N-14 and started with 460 . Cat and Detroit had similar differences in how the engines were built, some 12.7 Detroits could be run up to 500 horsepower while others were limited to 430 or 470, some even lower than 430.

If your transmission is direct and the 13 is also direct, it may work out that the big hole has the same ratio to the rear wheels.

I like 13s because the engine is in it's sweet spot more often than with a 10 or a 9.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
    Socal Xpress Thanks this.
  9. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
    Its a 12.7 detroit i called today to freightliner thay said $250 and could not tell me how much more power i could get out of it untill thay see what the ECM reads. Should i just take it to stewert and stevenson in houston and let them do it

10. Independent

Independent Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2010
    How come these fleets order 9's and only upgrade to 13's when they put it out of service to sell it? Is it fuel economy or inexperienced driver related to spec the 9? What is their reasoning behind that?

11. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    O/O are the ones usually buying used trucks, and people who prefer 13s pay more for them,that is why these trucks are converted. A former driver who is a good friend argued that a 13 speed is not friendly to a new driver, that it is hard to learn, and a 9 speed is easy in comparison; there isn't as much to break.

There is the misconception that a truck will go faster with more gears, all things being equal with the same ratio at the back of the transmission, the only place it will go a bit faster is uphill. So there is the insurance company factor, which I doubt. You mostly don't get better mileage with less gears, but an overdrive transmission has higher friction losses than a direct, so some people with a properly specced 10 speed claim better fuel mileage. The best I ever got was with 13 speeds.

The fastest truck I ever drove was the first one I drove as an employee, a N-14/460 with all of the stops out, and that was coupled to a 9 speed. I have no idea of how fast it would go, but the cruise set at 80 and the speedometer in that truck was on the money.

I only drove it that fast for just enough time to see if the cruise would set, the other truck only set up to 70. I didn't feel like seeing how fast it could go, that was more than enough for me.

Independent and TURKER Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.