Eaton fuller FRO-16210B questions

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by yazied, Oct 21, 2018.

1. yazied

yazied Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2013
    hello everyone ,
    I recently bought a truck sight unseen - too late now to be regretful- took the truck on the highway and it seems like 4/5 and 9/10 gears has switched places though Eaton fuller online manuals show that this model has no U pattern but H pattern , so in shot the 10 gear is towards the dash 9 gear is towards sleeper . No grinding and pulls out ok . So is this normal or what could be the problem?
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Somebody probably just changed the shift bar assembly from the H pattern to the U pattern. Its impossible for gears to switch places like that without changing the gears inside or changing the shift bar housing.

Dino soar, yazied and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  4. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    Maybe little midgets snuck under the truck in the middle of the night and swapped out the trans??

5. stonefly4

stonefly4 Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    I think that if 10th gear is forward toward the dash, then the transmission is an overdrive.

In 9th gear, toward sleeper, the trans would be in straight through mode, direct drive, from the front shaft to the yoke.

At least that's the way it works on my RTO 14715. I believe the "O" in the RTO is for overdrive.

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
  7. SmokinCAT

SmokinCAT Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Hillsboro, OH./ Adrian, MI
    I don't believe that the FRO series transmissions share a top plate with the older transmissions that would allow high to be against the dash.

It sounds as though it has had the transmission changed, crawl under the truck and see if the tag is on it still.

8. yazied

yazied Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Yes tag is under there and model number is FRO 16210B

9. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Maybe somebody flipped the gears to make it a double Overdrive.

I'm sort of kidding. People used to flip them on the older Transmissions. I wonder if that's possible on a newer transmission.

Edit:
    that probably doesn't make sense because the shifter itself is made to retain the normal gear pattern.

10. SmokinCAT

SmokinCAT Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Hillsboro, OH./ Adrian, MI
    People would flip a non overdrive main box to make it into an OD, doing that to an OD main box doesn't gain anything.

The double over moniker comes from there actually being two OD gears in the trans, one in the main and one in the auxiliary, so if you ever hear of someone talking about a double over 9/10/15 speed, they are full of crap.

11. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    How about that? I meant to say overdrive and I said double...

Brain fart....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.