Eaton RT12609a to RTX147010c swap

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Cdubb, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Cdubb

Cdubb Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Hi all,

I post here from time to time about my truck (1995 IH 9200 with a CAT 3176b), anyone who remembers me knows I’ve been contemplating some gearing or transmission changes. I got to drive a very similar truck to mine with the same rear end ratio, 3.91, and same factory horsepower rating, 350 and the difference is night and day. Far as I can tell the big difference is the transmission, which is in his a RTX147010c. Just so happens there’s one with 30k miles (with paper work) out of a wrecked truck a little north of me at a good price, has the bell housing and complete shifter too. Since I will need to hunt down parts I have some questions. Is there any complications going from a RT to RTX? Would I need a different flywheel (which also would determine which clutch to but I assume)? Would the drive shaft need its length changed? Clutch linkage going to need reworked?

I guess I just want to know how much screwing around will have to be done to make this much needed change.

Current trans is a RT12609a for reference.

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MAMservices

MAMservices Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2021
    Mississippi
    It appears this swap should be very straight forward. They both use the same bell housing, main case, and are both two piece transmissions that appear be the same length. Best to measure between yokes when unit is installed and suspension at correct ride height to assure driveshaft length and slip is acceptable. Will both use a pull type 15.5” clutch and same flywheel. RT vs RTX is simply a design change in the shift top. If your replacement comes with the top ok. I don’t think you can use a RTX top in place of an RT. Depending on what it came out of, you may have to install your clutch arm onto the bell crank in the replacement unit. Should be able to use existing clutch linkages.
    Tried to attach a link to Eatons manual so you could compare specs.

https://www.redramgear.ca/wp-conten...-fuller-transmission-identification-guide.pdf

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    Cdubb Thanks this.
  4. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Only difference between RTO and RTX is the top plate. It’s the same transmission. You can put an RTX top plate on an RT transmission, but your shift pattern will be backwards. High gear forward on a direct transmission.

Cdubb and MAMservices Thank this.
  5. Cdubb

Cdubb Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Thank you both! I went ahead and picked up the 1470 today, got it for $1k don’t think it did too terrible with how complete it is and with its rebuild paperwork. Hoping to get it into the shop next week sometime after I finish up a contract.

Manice955 and MAMservices Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.