Editing the reason, not the data

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by speedyk, Oct 25, 2018.

1. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I am driving for a company that uses an ELD that has Alzheimer's; start out on PC and it reverts to Driving at every stop (groceries, etc.). This software is so screwed up that the advice given to me by tech support is to uncheck then recheck the PC box at every stop before driving so it doesn't show one thing and actually do another.

Supposedly no one can change those entries to PC. I'm not arguing that the truck wasn't moving, it was, I'm arguing that I should be able to amend the status, esp when this is a known software glitch. Let the ELD capture movement, that can be handy, but why should a little box be allowed to state why I'm moving and set it in stone?

Is it true that no ELD will allow an admin to change that status? That's what I'm being told as I sit here for extra reset hours because of a few errands.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Yes, it is true. No one can edit drive time.

Once you stop pc at the store, go off duty. Then resume pc before you drive back. Basically exactly what tech support said.

Bank_Lbr and speedyk Thank this.
  4. Makeajump

Makeajump Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Texas
    This is true. The automatic entries cannot be changed.However you should be able to annotate the entry by adding a note that is was PC and ELD malfunction then get on paper logs so you don’t lose your reset....

KB3MMX and speedyk Thank this.
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    By law, there are limited edits allowed to drive time. Unfortunately changing on duty driving to off duty driving is not specified as one of them. Its not specifically forbidden either.

4.3.2.8.2. Driver Edit Limitations
    (b) An ELD must not allow automatically recorded driving time to be shortened or the ELD username associated with an ELD record to be edited or reassigned, except under the following circumstances:

(1) Assignment of Unidentified Driver records. ELD events recorded under the “Unidentified Driver” profile may be edited and assigned to the driver associated with the record; and

(2) Correction of errors with team drivers. In the case of team drivers, the driver account associated with the driving time records may be edited and reassigned between the team drivers if there was a mistake resulting in a mismatch between the actual driver and the driver recorded by the ELD and if both team drivers were respectively indicated in each other's records as a co-driver. The ELD must require each co-driver to confirm the change for the corrective action to take effect.

So in
    reality the ELD providers can make it so a driver can edit it from on duty driving to off duty driving, I have yet to see one do it though.

Bank_Lbr and speedyk Thank this.
  6. speedyk

Apr 8, 2015
    Except that they have a "feature" that is persistent PC, so if you make several stops it's supposed to keep you off-duty PC. However, it doesn't do that, it sees new movement as drive time if you don't go to that screen, then uncheck PC and persistent PC then recheck it to make it actually work, even though is is checked it is not working. Another driver told me he just lets the truck run at every stop and it works.

Thank you for the relevant statutes, helpful. Seems like a vendor who came out with that ability might be popular.

7. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Letting it run, if idle shutdown isn't deployed, solves a host of annoyances with these devices. My worst the one is having to log in many times a day, if much time has passed, even 15 minutes of engine off has done it, I believe, engine running, no such issue. Have to awaken it to read it, touching the screen sometimes will do that, high winds will do it to with the engine off.

Far more intrusive than paper in that regard, have to cross all the 't's and dot all of the 'i's as you go, lest you have to spend even more time editing to 'correct', and any driving event can't be edited.

Plus the embedded devices that don't work, well, I'm familiar with paper, and they're still getting preprinted loose leaf forms from jjk. Just got another case delivered, saw that yesterday.

speedyk Thanks this.
  8. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    What brand are you referring to that is reverting back on its own?

9. speedyk

Apr 8, 2015
    It's Keller, and they've released updates that have changed things but I don't have a complete picture of how just yet.

10. DustyRoad

DustyRoad Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    The P.C. can be disabled as part of the factory setting. You need to verify with the fleet manager the device is enabled and your company has enabled the servers tracking your truck. Any movement is viewable in realtime by the networks. Think of your device as intelligent and able to communicate to the MIS your exact location 24/7. If P.C. functionality is disabled, the server will put you on duty driving without warning and you could be in possible HOS violation.

Simply put, the company has assumed control of your log book.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.