EEC 61 SPN 3226 2013 Freighliner Cascadia DD13

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by portrat, May 3, 2018.

1. portrat

portrat Bobtail Member

May 3, 2018
    Hi All
    Please help.
    Yesterday, I was going fairly fast on Hi RPM and all of the sudden this code showed up (EEC 61 SPN 3226).
    After some investigation, I noticed my DEF gauge is showing 4 bars, but the tank was less than half full. So I thought may be low DEF levels caused this and I filled up the tank, but the code is still there (dont know how to reset code either).

I did some checking online and saw a bulletin about SPN 3226:

Selective Catalyst Reduction Outlet NOx Sensor Circuit Failed High
    SPN 3226/FMI 3
    Description This Code Sets When There is a Short to Power on the SCR Outlet
    NOx Circuit Between the Sensor and CPU
    Monitored Parameter SCR Outlet NOx Sensor
    Typical Enabling Conditions Dewpoint Enabled
    Monitor Sequence None
    Execution Frequency Continuous When Enabling Conditions Met
    Typical Duration 2 Seconds
    Dash Lamps MIL, CEL
    Engine Reaction None
    Verification Parked Regen
    Check as follows:
    1. Disconnect the SCR outlet NOx sensor.
    2. Inspect the SCR outlet NOx sensor and harness side connector for bent, spread, or corroded pins. Is any damage found?
    a. Yes; repair as necessary. Verify repairs.
    b. No; replace the SCR outlet NOx sensor. Refer to section "Removal of the GHG14 Selective Catalytic Reduction Outlet NOx Sensor".

so my questions to all are:

1. Would or could this short have caused the DEF gauge to show a false full, or is the gauge may be crystallized and its stock, have you ever had your DEF gauge be stock on full?

2. Could low levels of DEF cause 3226?

3. Have you had to deal with 3226 and how did you fix it?

3. How do you clear the fault code?

Thanks
    Mike

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    1. Doubt it, on our trucks with DD15, the DEF gauge low level amber light will flash when the government shutdown warning code activates, but I don’t think it does anything with the fluid level lights.

2. No, the ACM has detected detected a short in the outlet NOX sensor circuit. Low levels of or poor quality DEF would cause a NOX conversation fault code.

3. I’ve seen this code a handful of times. Most of the time it was the outlet NOX sensor. The was a couple times it ended up being a couple rubbed wires were the main after treatment harness crossed over the transmission.

4. Verification is a parked regen. Since I’m assuming you don’t have a PC to initiate a parked regen. You maybe able to get it to clear by getting your truck to do a passive regen, that is take it down the road on a nice stretch of Highway that you can maintain your speed for about 30-50 minutes.

More than likely, you’ll need to change the Outlet NOX sensor and take it on a long test drive, simple enough to do, if you can get the old sensor removed with out stripping threads or breaking the harness connector. The sensor will cost you $250 to $350, so it might not hurt to run the troubleshooting you found online to confirm it’s not the harness.

4. bunniecarrots

bunniecarrots Bobtail Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Hi I'm having the same issue, took it to freightliner and they installed and awning kit. Drove about 100 miles and then it called for a forced region and same code EEC 61 FAIL 20 SPN 3226. Any ideas?

5. nondriver1989

nondriver1989 Light Load Member

Apr 17, 2018
    Howuch did the awning kit install cost

6. 3ARTransport

3ARTransport Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Had the same thing happen to my 11 cascadia, the nox sensor was bad, it was stripped out when replacing. Shop had to recut the threads.

7. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Think it's only $100 for the kit. But one of the DPF filters has to be removed to install the awning kit. Probably a two or three hour job.

8. nondriver1989

nondriver1989 Light Load Member

Apr 17, 2018
    10.4 thanks for responding

9. Fred75943

Fred75943 Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2017
    I had same problem. They installed awning kit. The kit was $115. I was out the door at $1350.00 at smith power in slc. I am at the same shop now a week later with the same problem. Hope it’s just the outlet nox sensor and not the whole onebox. I’ve spent 5500 on this problem and no end in sight. What a huge disaster with these trucks. Prepare for a big butt fooking .♂️‍♂️‍♂️

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  10. little cat 500

little cat 500 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Abbottstown PA
    would be cheaper to delete it

11. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.