El Dorado KS 54W/77N out of route ticket

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Waggledaddy, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Waggledaddy

Waggledaddy Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Nearly 3 years of driving under my belt I get my first ticket. I take driving a truck seriously. I route plan almost excessively. I use all the tools available using bits of each to keep myself, company and license legal. This is the first time, to the best of my knowledge, I've broken rules? Anyhow, about 9pm I'm on the side of the road heading north on 54W/77N toward I35. The officer explained I was out of route and the road I was on was restricted to trucks. I explained I route planned prior to leaving and I didn't see any signs stating no trucks. She left with my license and while she was gone I looked up again my route. Where I was. Made sure there were no restrictions listed. There wasn't. She came back with a ticket $100 for out of route and $90 for court costs. I then showed her the Rand McNally that the route is approved and that there were no restrictions. She said "I know" then explained that there were signs. She was careful when I pressed her on the signs to not be specific rather than to refer to them as signs. For example when I said I didn't see any signs that said no trucks or had a picture of a truck with a red slash she responded "Well, there are signs". So, in my downtime today I played a little with Google maps. I didn't see one sign that restricts from the road I was on. It's definitely purposely vague it seems. Apparently from what I can gather is the street right before the merger of 54/77 is called N Vine St. There's a sign right before Vine St that is obstructed by poles and other signs with arrows and truck route underneath it with 254/77 hwy however just a half block ahead there are another set of signs stating the junction of both 254/77 as well. I took some screenshots. Let me know what you think. And also notice there are no signs stating no trucks allowed. However a couple blocks after the site I was pulled over at there was a no truck sign for a cross street that was up ahead. Screenshot_20190301-123436_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190301-123805_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190301-123853_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190301-123922_Chrome.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    You cannot go through the middle of town. You have to turn either right or left and stay on the truck route. They do not have to have "No Trucks" signs.

drh72, Humblepie, wore out and 4 others Thank this.
  4. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Arguing with an officer is fruitless. Lawyer up and have an attorney deal with it.

5. woolybully35us

woolybully35us Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    ks
    those signs have been up scents I was a kid an my dad was driving truck. every time I go through el dorado I see trucks all the time go right by the signs an through town like it doesn't pertain to them like they were special. didn't you see the signs before you enter city limits that trucks must stay on truck route

bzinger and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  6. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    "El Dorado is used sometimes as a figure of speech to represent something much sought after that may not even exist, or, at least, may not ever be found"... like an accurate map or GPS? Hmm, there appear to be about as many (or more) places named after it as anwhere else in the world too.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  7. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Lawyer up, & let us know what happens. Cases have been won before because of poor signage.

The fact that neither the gps or map told you it’s restricted doesn’t hold water. That’s not the city’s problem. Poor signage is their problem. Fight it, what’s the worst that can happen? You have to pay the lawyer??? They’re already charging you $90 court cost. Mine as well get your $90 worth out of the court!

black_dog106 and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  8. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I used to load chemicals out of el Dorado and they specifically told us to stay out of that area , but op I do feel your pain ..I got zapped in carrizo springs TX a few years ago and it wasn't cheap either .

LoSt_AgAiN Thanks this.
  9. Matt43324

Matt43324 Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Be petty about it. Reschedule for late december. Lol

10. olddog_newtricks

olddog_newtricks Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I suppose I've been really lucky by not getting a ticket in that same spot. You are supposed to turn right or left and stay on the truck route but it's faster go on through town. Back when I was hauling groceries I passed through there quite a bit.

bzinger Thanks this.
  11. Coover

Coover Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2016
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.