ELD and paper log combination

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by deathB4decaf, Aug 3, 2018.

1. deathB4decaf

deathB4decaf Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2018
    The company I work for (in the office) is a dealership that is a driveaway/towaway operation. We are mostly exempt from the ELD mandate with the exception of our 3 IFTA vehicles that are required to have ELDs.

I am working on filing for an exemption for our 3 IFTA vehicles and need some guidance. The research I am focusing on is centered around how it would just as safe for us to run paper logs as the ELD's in those CMVs. It is getting a bit messy paperwork wise when our guys have to bounce back and forth.

Anyone have any constructive information on this or can point me in the correct direction?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    KeepTruckin App: Electronic Log Book Mode. Case Closed.

4. deathB4decaf

Jan 10, 2018
    Can you elaborate what you mean by that?

We have the VDO Roadlog and it works great. Just gets messy when attempting to combine my paper and electronic records. Most of our guys don't have smart phones so we went with something basic.

5. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    I'm exempt due to having a 1998 truck.

I hate JJ-Keller pen & paper logs. Too much chicken-scratch writing (Aint nobody got time for that!!!)

Solution? Use KeepTruckin app, in non-eld mode (aka "electronic log book app")

By doing that, I get a tool that alerts me to potential violations, plus, when printed (truck has wireless printer), it looks cleaner than JJ-Keller chicken-scratched paper-log.

deathB4decaf Thanks this.
  6. deathB4decaf

Jan 10, 2018
    The issue is the app would mean they would all have to be provided with smart phones. (Boss doesn't want to do that because of initial cost and monthly fees.)

I've talked to them about getting at least one pre-2000 truck to just automatically be exempt in that vehicle. They guys don't mind their paper-logs. Maybe it is because it is familiar and they're use to using them.

7. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    The easy solution is an app, even if it costs money to put a tablet in each vehicle. If they’re doing paper in some vehicles and eld in the others do they have to edit the eld to match their paper logs?

Honestly if the FMCSA were handing out exemptions based on the eld being a hassle I imagine every one out there who doesn’t like them would be trying to get an exemption.

I don’t know your operation but is it worth looking at doing away with one segment or the other? Keep the non-eld vehicles and hire out the work the eld ones do now? Or vise versa.

8. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    You don’t have to buy them each a smart phone. Buy tablets one for each truck that stays in truck. You can get android tablets for around $50.

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    How is it messy?

You should not be allowed an exemption, you have a three truck driveaway service which is not hard to manage at all even with a mix of ELD and Paper.

10. deathB4decaf

Jan 10, 2018
    If you don't do my job then you wouldn't know how it is messy for me.
    In all fairness, I think whether or not we should be allowed the exemption should be judged on the FMCSA.

11. deathB4decaf

Jan 10, 2018
    They do not edit logs at all. We have had 1 incident since we started and that was handled. I get that you all don't see an issue, that's fine. I'm not going into full detail because it is a lot to list and I genuinely was looking for guidance. If you all don't feel it is something we deserve, no worries. The FMCSA will turn down my request and I will be better at my job with the research I will be doing.

12. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    If you are having that much trouble, get an ELD with a dongle that plugs into the diag port of the truck. Have the drivers use that even on the exempt drive away trucks Nice and convenient, and everything goes through the same system.

Remember, it's an exemption for the driveaway operation. Nothing says an ELD cannot be used....

not4hire and deathB4decaf Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.