ELD breaks and time management

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Drummerdan1984, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Drummerdan1984

Drummerdan1984 Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2019
    Hello,

I'm new to long haul and still learning how to use the ELD, but my biggest concern since driving is using up my time to get to my destination, and then not having time left to make my delivery. I know I can use personal conveyance but it all seems a little confusing for me.

For instance. I got to my destination, and was able to go into sleeper berth for 8 hours, but I got a door and used a yard move on the ELD, to make nut delivery. does that interruption in my 10 hour reset mean I have to start over with an additional ten hours or can I user PC make my delivery then go back in sleeper for 2 more hours?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    This is one of the reasons why ELD's were implemented. People working on their Off Duty time because "It's only putting it in the door."

Sorry, but "delivering" is On Duty. If your company can't figure out schedules with the customer that doesn't waste your time by having to restart a break for example, you need a new company that will.

roshea Thanks this.
  4. Drummerdan1984

Drummerdan1984 Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2019
    It isn't the company, because I am the company, lol. I don't want to break any laws, and I'm just confused about what happens if for any reason I have to interrupt my 10 hour reset( lawfully or otherwise) do I need to start an additional 10 hours?

5. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I'm still on AOBR not a full ELD yet. My understanding is when someone uses Yard Move. That is On-Duty time time. So that will break you sleeper time up. I never thought out PC at delivery but I guess that would also break your sleeper time. I can still move 2.5 miles on AOBRD but that ending this year. You probably have get a full 8 off before making delivery or 10 hours off.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Personal Conveyance is not a parachute to "Advance" the freight closer to the customer.

You have a 11 hour driving day minus a couple bits of time. Your truck will run X miles on a perfect day and a whole lot less on a real bad day.

Your customer is at the end of the total trip hopefully less than 70 hours at worse for the new work week. Your appointment with that customer is ALWAYS into the future that is more time in total than it takes to run the trip in any season, any weather.

Nothing has changed with the ELD. Except one. If your driving day is ended moving at 11:01 hours past it is a VIOLATION. IF dot sees that, kachink!

7. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    8 hours in the sleeper without interruption extends the 14 by that 8 hours, this is called split breaking. It gets complicated to explain, but if your ELD is set up and working according to the rules, it will figure the particulars correctly, I did it Friday on a trip to Chicago, I do that often enough to be comfortable with doing it.

As far as getting a better company, there are trade offs with that, too.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
  9. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    If all you need to do is put it in the door, then keep truck under 5 mph... This way it wont put you on the drive line.

A word of caution tho... 5 mph you will be in the way at a busy shipper/receiver so not always a good idea. Only when necessary. Otherwise 8-2 split.

10. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    If you've already got 8 hrs in the sleeper, just go "on duty", put it in the door (use "yard move" if you'd like), get unloaded, move back to the staging area, go "off duty" or "sleeper berth" for 2 more hours, then you're good to go. Just remember that your 14 hour clock started when you ended your 8 hrs in the sleeper, NOT at the end of the 2 hrs to complete your 10.

Dieselboss, MartinFromBC and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. CousinVinny

CousinVinny Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    Devil's advocate - I see guys try this and end up screwing themselves all the time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.