ELD Exemption for single truck operations?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by LandslideRich, Apr 27, 2017.

1. LandslideRich

LandslideRich Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    Is it true that a single truck operating under its own authority and driven by its owner is exempt from the ELD mandate?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/faq/what-exceptions-are-allowed-electronic-logging-device-rule

Who is exempt from the ELD rule?

PreviousNext

Drivers who use the timecard exception are not required to keep records of duty status (RODS) or use ELDs. Additionally, the following drivers are not required to use ELDs; however, they are still bound by the RODS requirements in 49 CFR 395 and must prepare logs on paper, using an Automatic On-Board Recording Device (AOBRD), or with a logging software program when required:

• Drivers who use paper RODS for not more than 8 days out of every 30-day period.
    • Drivers who conduct drive-away-tow-away operations, where the vehicle being driven is the commodity being delivered.
    • Drivers of vehicles manufactured before 2000.

LandslideRich Thanks this.
  4. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Had a guy here in Nashville at the ta try to argue this tonight. Even after I went and pulled up the regs he still claimed that he wouldn't have to run an eld...

5. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink (or maybe think) LoL So much bad information out there, and sadly it is even coming from folks that are supposed to be experts in the field.

peterd, BigTennOTR and passingthru69 Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    N. O.

If it was, imagine 14000 little JB Hunts and friends suddenly JB1, through JB14000 Inc on the doors. 14000 new single truck companies made of one larger one to ditch the ELD.

rocknroll81 Thanks this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I wish these guys would stop crying about ELDs, it isn't a big deal and there is so much more to worry about that we have to put up with.

Bank_Lbr, rocknroll81, Opus and 5 others Thank this.
  8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Wish away all you want. I'm glad I won't have to worry about it.

96pete379, SheepDog, Dumdriver and 4 others Thank this.
  9. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I'm an owner operator. I've heard that it's possible to get one for $300.00, with a subscription price of $25.00 per month. A log book doesn't even cost $5.00. So I have to shell out a vacation in the first year, and 2 nights in a four star hotel every year thereafter for something that doesn't improve safety?

10. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I think you are incorrect on your definition of the term 'safety'. Safety means how much more expensive it will be to run your business. The more expensive it is the better. Obviously, right...?

I would like to see a table of total miles driven, year over year, and beside that a corresponding table of crashes, injury and fatalities... can we have a little accountability? If these new laws are actually proving to cause less crash/injury/death then please, lawmakers, show me some data! And lead me to the publicly available sources so I can find it for myself! Or.... are we supposed to just continue believing that something is good because you as never even had a truck driver in your blood line know better..? English.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.