ELD exemption

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Badiola, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Badiola

Badiola Bobtail Member

Nov 7, 2017
    We feel we fall under the short haul exemption as we start and stop at the same place every day we drive. Also we only go beyond the 100 air miles 3 to 5 times in any 30 day period. The question we have is do we need to use an ELD on those few days we go beyond the 100 air miles or is a paper log sufficient ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JJKid

JJKid Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    You are exempt due to this (someone correct me if i'm wrong).

• Drivers who use paper RODS for not more than 8 days out of every 30-day period.

deathB4decaf, Bean Jr. and Oxbow Thank this.
  4. Badiola

Badiola Bobtail Member

Nov 7, 2017

5. Badiola

Badiola Bobtail Member

Nov 7, 2017
    That is what we believe also JJKid . Just want to try our best to be 100% sure

JJKid Thanks this.
  6. JJKid

JJKid Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    Just make sure you or whom ever your asking for is ready to explain that exemption. You may encounter a Super-Trooper who is out for blood.

7. Badiola

Badiola Bobtail Member

Nov 7, 2017
  8. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Not to hijack the thread, but this question has been in my mind. I run under the short haul exemption as well. But, like Badiola said, we have a run that requires us to fill out a log sheet. I only run it once or twice a week, no more than 8 trips in a 30 day period. However, I start at 8 pm and finish by 8am the next morning. So the trip is actually on two log sheets. If I were to be checked, does that count as one day, or two, even though it's only one trip?

9. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    One day equals a 24 hour period.

10. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    So, under my scenario, I should be good I guess? I suppose I could put it all on one sheet to simplify.

This is why I wish we'd just bite the bullet and put the nanny boxes in. Saves on such confusion

11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    There are 3 criteria for that exemption. You mentioned two.
    How long do you work daily? To use the timecard exemption it must be no more than 12 hours. If you hit the 12th hour you must paper lig just like if going over 100 air mile radius.

deathB4decaf Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.