ELD HOS violation

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by deathB4decaf, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I see a big problem in this industry in general is office staff that has not ever been a truck. And the fact most office people are fresh out of high school.
    And you expect some making a living on mile scale to respect every decision the office makes. This will come to a head real fast. I'm sorry I sound crass but Google map times are not real word time in a truck. Maybe the sales or office team should put more respect on drivers doing the grunt work. But I guess public image is key priority. Well keep that up until you have no drivers. But hey at least your image is good.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You have to. Otherwise Uncle Sam will make sure you don't exist as a habitual violator. You already know this I imagine.

I took a great deal of enjoyment as a simple company driver in my time. However it's not all easy. The people and personalities etc sometimes works well and sometimes not so well.

I believe you have a employee handbook given to all drivers hired. Take a look in there because it should lay out the penalties for violating logs. Progress up the tree.

There is one final thought.

Most all companies I have ever hired on kept a small folder under a desk with my name on it as well as all other drivers. When that folder gets too full of damning material that costed money, violations or egregrous breaches of rules, laws or big tickets etc. in sufficient thickness that means I am gone. No ifs buts and maybes.

A percentage of all drivers coming out of school today might not understand that implicit factual concept that should they continue to misbehave out the door they go. Usually when that driver's folder gets too fat and heavy to mess with.

Eventually at some point. You I think will have to reconcile your business decisions and keep your feelings out of it. This is work, not a wedding. Sometimes it seems like it when things go wrong with people.

Long ago Businesses used to fire workers like myself for disciplinary purposes leaving the true offense left unstated.

I don't know if they continue to use such a term today.

deathB4decaf Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I wish you would stop justifying his actions.

It doesn't matter if he is a hard worker, or has done something in the past, his actions are problematic for the company and needs to be corrected, if he doesn't take well to the correction, lead him out the door.

Also it doesn't matter what he likes, that's his problem, he is there to abide by the regs to get the work done, can't do it, then he needs to find somewhere else to work.

Bottom line, you need to have to get it together and don't act as if this is a hard thing to do, correct his behavior, don't dwell on it or act like it is alright but not to let it happen again. Tell him that it won't happen next time because there is no excuse, you are there to protect the company and the public, not to coddle the driver.

ZVar, Lab work and Bank_Lbr Thank this.
  5. deathB4decaf

deathB4decaf Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Few things that you don't have right. I am far from fresh out of HS. We are a driveaway/towaway operation so we don't deal with the shipping and receiving aspect. I respect these drivers. I've said it time and again in this forum and IRL, I have no job without them. Public image is not what I am worried about, the driver and the business is what my concern breaks down to. He could get in serious trouble for what happened. This is his livelihood. If he doesn't understand what he did wrong, it is my job to make it as clear as possible.

I just spoke with him. He signed his paperwork and we talked about it all. He wasn't upset with me. We discussed all the regulations and he told me that trucking isn't what it use to be. He informed me that he doesn't blame me for doing my job and thanked me for respecting him enough to talk it over.

I get that it isn't a wedding. (@x1Heavy I have been following you on this forum for quite a while and have a lot of respect for you.) These drivers have let me know that the way I treat them makes it easier to handle when I have to address an issue. I do need to be more stern IF it happens again. (I hope it doesn't because I haven't the kahonas yet for that.)

6. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    Honestly it's time for mindless zombies to start driving trucks. Trucking does require independent thought anymore. Only sheeple need apply.

7. deathB4decaf

Jan 10, 2018
    @Oldironfan I'm not real sure on that. For the company I work for it is certainly not true but I know very little about the other aspects of trucking. My oldest has his license and one of the first things I told him was to show respect to the vehicles that could plow you over.

Lab work, x1Heavy and Oldironfan Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I'll add one tiny thought to that.

Considering the theoratical decline in training given to people who come to America to drive We (Plural) in our car stay away from big rigs totally. If one wants to get by on our 75 mph roads governed at 61 while we are doing 65? Fine come on by get out of here before that road raging begins on that road. A few moments getting out of the way is best.

Most of the trucks in our area are local or familiar not a issue usually. It's getting to where I can almost pick out who is coming through by the shifting on some of them now.

I appreciate the thoughts, Im not perfect by anymeans and glad this situation resolved one way or another.

I look back to the CDL days in the early 90's and we had many a good driver say enough and leave the road back then. I almost did. Sometimes I wonder.

Oldironfan and deathB4decaf Thank this.
  9. deathB4decaf

Jan 10, 2018
    I showed him a few videos of how things can go when a small car does something silly near a CMV. He may or may not have needed to change his undies after that. LOL. He stays as far away from other cars as possible. Plus I told him the drivers that work here are keeping an eye out for him.

We live in a small farming community. Patience is a virtue here with all of the tractors and construction.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. Oldironfan

May 22, 2017
    Do you use dash cams? Pointed out windsheild?

11. deathB4decaf

Jan 10, 2018
    No sir. *Knock on wood* Accidents are not something we worry about too much. Seems the drivers are very safe. Seems our biggest issue is the seller saying vehicles are roadworthy that are in fact NOT. If that is the case we bring them home and send them back with a wrecker to tow.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.