ELD on truck used for both commercial and personal purposes

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Sergeant Bilko, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Sergeant Bilko

Sergeant Bilko Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2018
    I'm getting close to retirement from the military and I've considered supplementing my retirement by doing part time hot shot. I've run the numbers and can net a profit using equipment I currently own however, the issue of ELD for a truck being used both for commercial and personal purposes needs clarification. Does an ELD provide for this mixed use logging or hasn't the Federal Government taken this situation into account yet?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    log out and any unassigned miles don't assign.. make note - personal use.

pmdriver Thanks this.
  4. Majestic 670

Majestic 670 Heavy Load Member

May 10, 2016
    Landcruiser
    I seen where they are on the fence about personal conveyance I’ll wait until they make their minds up on how they will commandeer your truck in the name of safety. You will drive when they say you can pay for whatever fees,fines,equipment and anything else they say you need. Please tell me how and why there’s never any credits or relief for us but corporations get grants to meet mandates. Tired of working with people who don’t get it.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  5. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    I know a couple of guys doing this in retirement. Depending on your location you could run local ( within 150 mile radius and no more than 7 days out of the radius in a 30 day period) providing you are under 26,000lbs. If you are registered 26,001 the radius is 100 mile radius. As I understand it unless you go over the radius you don’t even have to have a paper log.

6. Sergeant Bilko

Sergeant Bilko Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2018
    All good input. Thank you, Brothers. It's clear that the simpler times are behind us and the future is in the hands of the Empire. I've done some digging on "Personal Conveyance" and my hope is, I can utilize this to it's ragged edge.

Fight, and scratch at a chance.
    Bend a knee, and forfeit all potential.
    Who knows? Maybe your grandchildren will be able to say, "Yeah, that was my granddad."

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.