ELD or pre ELD truck?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Canadianhauler21, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    My boss recently asked if I want to drive a 1999 international 9900. No ELD or speed limiter which I guess is nice.

I have been driving on ELDs the last 2 years and haven't had many instances where I ran tight on time. Most of my runs are less than 600 miles (regional). The international is a 13 speed manual, I don't mind driving manual but I dislike driving them in heavy traffic. I've gotten spoiled with automatic transmission the last two years.

Although I see the appeal of no ELD I don't think it's worth it in my situation.

But given the opportunity, would you rather drive a pre-eld truck or a modern comfortable truck with eld?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    A pre eld can be pretty comfortable also. It really doesn't matter to me. I have no interest spending all my time in a truck eld or not. You're right an auto beats shifting any day in stop & go traffic.

4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I'm getting old and decrepit. 11 hours in what can be extended into a 17 hour day is more than enough for me.

Got my 1100 miles in a shift T shirts so I'm good.

Woodys, peterd, Northern Nomad and 3 others Thank this.
  5. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL

Wait wait wait, you're being offered a hood on paper with a 13..?
    How did you even find the time to type this up.? Shut the left door & hammer down!! :cya:

Volvo with an auto he says..
    Lmao :laughing-guffaw:

Coffey, Farmerbob1, Bean Jr. and 5 others Thank this.
  6. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    Haha Volvo's aren't that bad, my flip flops fit perfectly on the gas pedal LOL (just kidding). Guess I've gotten lazy.
    I always thought old trucks drove like garbage. I drove a 1999 Kenworth last year for 120 miles and my back was shot. The international was previously a farm plated truck, hopefully it was treated good.
    Yes sir, I agree. Even though I'm 24 I find no need to run my 70 up every week. Stay safe out there.

7. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    A 1999 might still be ELD capable even though it's ELD exempt. I'd look into whether or not that's the case, and consider driving it with an ELD for the reliability of no emissions.

8. ibcalm19

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    The 1999 is still capable of being eld. My 1999 KW definitely is reliable & easy maintenance :D:D

9. ibcalm19

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    My 1999 KW hasn't caused me any back problems at all. It has been along the headache highways & byways of the east coast. I would say I don't care what truck you have riding through the broken interstate roads of Michigan your back will be in trouble. At 24 many moons ago:D:D, I was just arriving at superman status.

10. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    One way to save backs is to tilt the seat forward so you're sitting straight up. The spine is like a building - if it's straight up and down then it's fairly tough, but if it's tilted then it loses its structural integrity. It's not built to take shocks at an angle. Sitting up might feel awkward at first, especially for someone whose been doing the opposite for a long time. Just gotta remember it's a job and an office chair.

11. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    To me, being spoiled is having a manual transmission! I hate traffic, but if you enjoy shifting, when else are you going to get a chance to really shift? And no, I'm not being facetious.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.