ELD required in Not for Hire operation?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Nwroten, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Nwroten

Nwroten Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2015
    My wife is the Director of Riding for a collegiate equestrian team and is responsible for transporting the horses to shows. Is she required to have an ELD in the truck if being done not for profit? Thanks for any info, love the site.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 345_Magnum

345_Magnum Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Area 51
    ELDs are for commercial operations, not private. My best advice is to contact the Highway Patrol or State Police and talk to someone in the Commercial Enforcement Division. They're the people who write the tickets so they will give it to you straight.

4. halfassdriver

halfassdriver Light Load Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    Look at GVWR for truck and trailer. If over 26,000 lbs yes on CDL. Yes on ELD if u go farther than 150 miles from home.

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    If there is any possibility of prize money for those shows, it is a commercial move. Dot doesn't care if you make money, only that you are trying to...
    Not for hire doesn't play into it though.

You might qualify for some exemptions if you are hauling a traiiler rated over 10k, or a vehicle over 10k. The 26k mentioned above only applies if a cdl is needed. Need to log and medical card at 10,001 pounds.

6. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    If she isn't required to log her day more than 8 times in any 30 day period, then she's exempt. How often do they go to shows, and how many travel days are there? Log the day(s) traveling to and from the event. Days spent AT the event she's starting and stopping at the same location, so it's no different than back home...keep a record of your hours worked, and those days do not count against your 8-in-30 exemption from the ELD.

In theory, if every event she attends is within a day's drive (11 driving hours in a 14 hour day), she could drive to shows 4 out of every 5 weeks and keep her exempt status under the 8-days-in-30 exemption.

ZVar Thanks this.
  7. 12 ga

12 ga THE VIEW FROM MY OFFICE

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    Right on the money. Motor carrier enforcement in Chicago told me NOT FOR HIRE means absolutely nothing.

Badmon Thanks this.
  8. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    ZVar Thanks this.
  9. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Hauling your own horses is not interstate commerce.
    And no eld should be needed. Is my thoughts.
    Although Utah states any truck pulling a trailer must be a cdl issued driver at the wheel.

10. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Triple Digit Bullhauler Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA
    Yes, you need a CDL if GVWR is 26,000 lbs or more. Not for hire transporting of one's own product in their own vehicles, and how far the vehicle travels also is taken into consideration. Most trucks (pick-ups) that pull trailers for work are registered under commercial plates, and registration. If your wife is conducting a business or makes money in any manner for transporting such animals, Than yes you are considered as a commercial vehicle, and D.O.T rules and Regulations apply. Thus, you cannot be a not for hire carrier.
    I have a fleet of trucks, and trailers. I haul my own freight with my own trucks. I am registered as a not-for-hire vehicles, I also do not need a log book even though my freight goes beyond the 150 air miles radius per D.O.T rules. My ranch also has Bulls that compete in the PBR, and we sponsor some of the riders. They pull our bulls in custom livestock trailers and F-550 pick up trucks. They are not required to log, have ELD, and due to not for hire status. Best to check with your local DMV, or DPS commercial division for the proper answers.

11. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    One other thing to consider is if it is a college team, and the truck and trailer being used are owned by the state, then a different set of rules might apply. Often times, trucks owned by municipalities and state agencies are exempt from most (if not all) of the regulations. Saw a news report a while back about a city's fleet of garbage trucks and how none of them would pass a roadside DOT inspection, but because the city owns and operates the trucks the DOT can't touch them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.