ELDs pushing the little guy out

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by rank, Jan 20, 2018.

1. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    Not every shipper/receiver has the capacity, ability, or space to store numerous trailers on their property. Even the WalMarts and Amazon's of this world only have so much space on their lots. If all the mega carriers decide to only go with accounts that allow them to drop and hook, that leaves lots of small shippers for the enterprising small fleet or o/o to find their niche with. Those who can best adapt will thrive.

4. PoleCrusher

PoleCrusher Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    Problem is... Where are they gonna put the trailers?

A lot of places that do d/h, their lots are so jammed full already you can't hardly move around. Not to mention the countless number of shippers that aren't set up for that kind of operation.

And, it doesn't matter how many trailers you have, w/o drivers in trucks to pull them, its still freight not being moved.

I'm not disparaging the article, or discounting your point, its a good one. But the big companies that move like dinosaurs are not going to put the little guy out if, and an important if, the little guy knows his game.

rank Thanks this.
  5. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    dunno......maybe it's the right time to buy a trailer and live load / unload.....since the megas want to drop and hook.....jus' sayin'

nax, dunchues and rank Thank this.
  6. wrongwaytommy

wrongwaytommy Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2010
    nc
    so,mega has to buy more trailers,which means more drivers and trucks which means more damage by those no driving drivers.
    that`s good for us
    shippers and receivers will never be able to go to a 100% d/h
    there will always be a good market for o/o`s for those last minute orders that have to go out "right now".Thats good for us too.i have a eld but I am going to keep running as always,they will just have to write a ticket if they catch me,which the odds are they will catch me once every 5 years.Thats my average of getting checked by the fuzz

rank Thanks this.
  7. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Gotta stay on paper then.......So far this Year- My Revenue has reached Record Levels- My Outbound Customers have torn my shoulders out of Socket. No Trucks ANYWHERE to Assist here.

This is actually a GOOD thing that's happening right now for the Small guy, Even if your Forced to run an E-Log- You Should be doing fairly Well right now.

And I DON'T See it swinging in the Shipper/Brokers Favor Anytime Soon, its 2008 all over again, And this Time it'll stay for good.

So No bright Idea's @8thnote. You Seem to question my Integrity and Planning Ethics from Previous posts I've Thrown up. I haven't Forgot your Smart Mouth.

TallJoe, bzinger and rank Thank this.
  8. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    I wholeheartedly agree with you on this point, no smart comments from me today. Maybe tomorrow...

9. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Don't you mean the hos, running them legally without cheating, is the issue?

10. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Ahhh no. Reading comprehension has fallen by the wayside on TTR lately.

11. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    No. The issue is blaming ELDs when that is not the issue.

nightgunner and KillingTime Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.