Electrical issues when running through water.

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by mem, Feb 16, 2019.

1. mem

mem Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Driving a 2018 cascadia with the 12 speed auto. When I run through sitting water with the passenger side steer tire and water sprays into the wheel well, the dashboard lights up with pretty much all of the lights, our inverter goes bananas with beeping until powered off, and the truck will not shift (stuck in whatever gear it is in). Even if I power off the truck and restart it will go into 1st gear and will not shift from there. This passes after a few minutes whether the truck has been powered off or not.

Any ideas what is getting hit by the water to cause this? Told our shop about it and they said they didn't find any wiring exposed, they replaced the inverter but it's still doing it. Running through rain is no problem, just heavier sitting water in potholes and such. Might take a water hose to it and see if I can figure it out, but thought someone might have an idea.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    The Sam cab module is located right above there. Some how the water is getting into it. This has been a problem since the Cascadia came out over ten years ago. Apparently still not fixed.
    It must be protected from the water or things will just get worse.
    Dealer should fix it.
    With hood up standing by the passenger wheel, at eye level by firewall you will see groups of wires plugged into the Sam Cab module. This computer assembly actually goes right through the firewall into the cab behind the glove box. If the water is not effecting the wires under the hood, then it must be penetrating the firewall around the Sam Cab module and effecting the connections inside the cab.

Working2party and mem Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.