$ell advertising space on your trailer.INCOME!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Hawkeye001, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Hawkeye001

Hawkeye001 Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Cambridge, ON
    Owner/Operators,

I'd like to make a suggestion that I have found worked very well for me.

I was paying out over $400 per month plus mileage charges to rent/lease a trailer. After thousands of dollars going to the lease company, I was no closer to being able to purchase my own trailer. At least one that was in decent condition.

I had been doing regular load hauling for a company who was part of a larger umbrella of similar companies. I approached them about the prospect of advertising on a trailer and they were very receptive to the idea.

Now the deal I made was an exchange of zero percent financing of a trailer of my choice, and they got to put their advertisment on it for as long as I owned the trailer.

I found a trailer in good condition for $5000, still with a valid safety. They cut the check, and I had a roadworthy trailer with no money down.

It took a couple months for them to get organized for the advertisment to be put on. They went with a complete trailer wrap. It looks fantastic!

The trailer, a 1998 Staughton 53ft Van looks like a brand new trailer!
    Not only does it look good, the wrap helps protect the walls of the trailer from corrosion from road salt etc...

Payments I make are set up at my schedule. They have been very flexible with me.

I wanted to post this for all of you who are having a difficult go of it. You can do this also as an additional income. Another option would be to make a deal for an advertiser to look after the maintenance and repairs of the trailer in exchange for the advertising.

We all have to find ways to cut corners and save money, especially now.

I hope this helps someone out there like it did for me...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    Got pics?

4. Hawkeye001

Nov 27, 2008
    Cambridge, ON
    Yes, they are posted in my album on here. Just click on my name above and select view my profile.

5. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    Wow! That is eye-catching! Very sharp looking and professional. Makes it look like you got a good thing going on. Nice truck too.

You got that trailer for 5G???

6. Winchester Magnum

Winchester Magnum Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Alaska highway
    Hawkeye, I have pondered that idea for years myself, but never made the first move to look into it, as I could never talk myself into putting graphics all over my trailer.

Have you thought this thing through to the end? By that I mean that trailer will likey be worth just a little less come the day you want to sell it, and/or all those graphics will need to be removed at a cost, and will leave a glue residue all over the whole side(s)

Do you care to share what they are paying you per month/year to wear that, and any other stipulations in said contract?

I'm thinking going nascar style and selling my just rear doors for a reduced price, to the right beer company.....LOL

7. Hawkeye001

Nov 27, 2008
    Cambridge, ON
  8. Winchester Magnum

Winchester Magnum Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Alaska highway
    So you basicaly got a free trailer. Gotcha now. Nice going.

9. Hawkeye001

Nov 27, 2008
    Cambridge, ON
    The deal was done very quickly and verbally. There is no contract with them, but they have been very loyal customers that pay well. As mentioned above, this one, they already paid. They bought the trailer outright. It went right in to my company name. No strings except the verbal agreement that I will repay the $5G over time with no interest.

I could have done better, but I needed a trailer that didn't cost me $400 a month in to someone elses pocket in short order. I would assume that not everyone would be like these have been with me. Most would want something in writing.

They paid for the wrap and install. It was well worth it to me... Financially I have a lot less burden on me for paying out monthly, and for them, they got a real deal for advertising. It workks for both our benefit. Also kind of secured our business relationship a bit...

10. pullingtrucker

pullingtrucker Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Fostoria, Ohio
    I have checked into this very much and was advised against doing it from my father. He owns a garbage company and was considering the same idea for his 8 trucks. He showed me all of his research and let me make my own decision. The thing I didn't like was what if the company doesn't pay or honor the contract, you are stuck with the cost of removal then. Most of the advertising firms and businesses I contacted wanted me to run certain lanes and have the trailer washed at least once a week. Well even figuring in the trailer wash fees and the cost for application and removal of the ad, it just didn't seem profitable. Also most companies wanted full say over what went on the ad, I do not agree with this seen I'm the one that has to look at it everyday.

The deal you got Hawkeye sounds very good. I know you said that it is a very good customer of yours, but please cya (cover your ###) just in case. I would hate to see another o/o get burned just trying to make a living.

11. pullingtrucker

pullingtrucker Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Fostoria, Ohio
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.