Elog & truck in shop....

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Grumppy, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    We lease a truck from Ryder. A few weeks ago, we put it in the shop for routine service... oil change, grease etc, over the weekend.
    I went back to pick up the truck & of course they drove it from the yard into the shop & back out etc.
    I go back to pick up the truck & I find I have been on duty for 2 days & obviously in violation etc. There is also two drive times on the log.
    I finally managed to edit the on duty time out, but I cant edit out the drive time obviously.

This has happened a couple of times over the past couple of weeks when we had a couple of other things worked on.

My question:
    Truck goes into shop, they drive it around & I can not edit drive time (AFAIK, drive time can NOT be edited). Every time this happens, it messes up my 34 or my 10.... What to do? How do we edit or handle this? If I am at 69.9 hours & they drive it, Its going to put me in violation that I can not edit.
    Is this another Elog issue that we just have to deal with?

Any reasonable answers or comments appreciated.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Do you log out of the system? It should just be unassigned driving time at that point.

RedForeman, Smut, Brickwall and 8 others Thank this.
  4. Expeditor

Expeditor Medium Load Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Log out of system. If when you sign back on and the unit assigned the drive time to you, that you didn't drive, ask safety to take care of it. ELD must record ALL miles a truck travels, AOBRD is a lot more lenient. Unfortunately to be able to use AOBRD you had to have the truck hooked up before Dec 18, 2017. All trucks coming on now need to be on ELD, except 1999 or older engine trucks, they can stay on paper.

What's an AOBRD? What's an ELD?
    An automatic onboarding recording device is a piece of hardware that connects to a vehicle's engine to record a driver's hours-of-service (HOS). It's functions much like an electronic logging device (ELD) except it records and displays less data. Similar to an AOBRD, an ELD is a piece of hardware that connects to a vehicle's ECM to accurately record a driver's HOS.

However, AOBRDs and ELDs differ in terms of how much data they record and how much editing is allowed. The chart below summarizes the FMCSA's comparison chart and section 395.15 to show how the two devices record data, locations, and editing history. From Big Road.

Grumppy Thanks this.
  5. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    3. Log Out

Dan.S, rabbiporkchop and Grumppy Thank this.
  6. Expeditor

Expeditor Medium Load Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Also as I understand you can be "on duty" for as long as you want, but can't be over the 70 hour rule, you just can't drive after 14 hours on duty. So technically you can start your clock let say 0700 do your pre-trip and drive 10 hours. Then go back on duty for 30 hours and that will be ok, you can not drive until you take a 8hr split or a full 10 hour break.

7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Have access to the admin portal?

Create a driver, called shop or such. Move the drive time to that account.

While an admin cannot make drive time disappear, they can edit it to assign it to the correct driver to be accurate. In this case the correct driver is the shop guy.

8. Grumppy

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Ok... Log out. Thanks for relevant answers. I have to be honest. I never use the log out option. I always just log OFF. TBH, I didn't even realize there was a log out option. I just looked for it & its there hidden.

Honestly, when I sign out every day... I have to sign in every morning, so, I just assumed it logs me out every day but there is a difference between log in/out & sign in/out.

Thanks a bunch. I appreciate the help. :)

Dan.S, rabbiporkchop and tscottme Thank this.
  9. Grumppy

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I'll answer a couple of posts...

I am an only driver & I work for a small, close nit, family owned company. My supervisor does not have any access to the Elog. I am the driver, administrator... everything. They just assigned me over the whole thing. We are just that way at our place. easy going & do all we can to make it as easy as possible on everyone.

10. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Everyone has already told you that you should have logged out, but if you are the system admin you should be able to edit anything, including drive time, in admin mode. Mistakes happen and there needs to be a way to correct it. I'd suggest getting in touch with the company who makes the system and ask them about it.

11. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014

Also I would note on the logs that the drive time, if you can't remove it, is shop time. Otherwise you have a falsified log. Plus if the drive time had you in violation it will show that you really aren't/weren't.

Brickwall Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.