Employer wants private medical information from routine Dr visit

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Matt43324, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Matt43324

Matt43324 Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2014
    As title says, went in for routine visit, now safety won't let me drive bc I will not authorize the Dr to release the information on the nature of the visit, procedures and medication. I have Dr note releasing me to work with out restriction. Seems to me as a huge invasion of privacy considering I'm releasing info to some one that's by no means a medical professional. Not to mention patient advocate said it's illegal for them to ask considering Dr provided a releaar statement. Probably looking for a new employer soon unless they can release my salary hold by noon. Got bills to pay.
    Anyone else experiance threats from your employer like this?

NightWind and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jungledrums

jungledrums Heavy Load Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Tennessee
    I never received threats like that from any trucking company. You could remind them of the federal laws of privacy of HIPAA, which protects the privacy of your medical records.

Tb0n3 and BigBob410 Thank this.
  4. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I would contact a lawyer and have them give your company a call.

5. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Was this a work related doctor visit?

snowlauncher Thanks this.
  6. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
  7. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    How would they know?
    Why would u give the dr. anything more than your ins. info?
    IMHO never give permission to share anything with anyone at anytime, including any apps or your google acct.

sevenmph and Puppage Thank this.
  8. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Unless you got the cash to pay doc from them and they think you did't go, then follow what kemosabi49 advice says?

9. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    Tell your company to pound sand and contact your lawyer! A routine visit is none of their business!! I've never in my 30 years if driving have ever had a company ask for anything related to a Doctor visit unless I was off for a injury and then all they required was a release letter! As if these companies and their insurance isn't in our business enough!!

al_huryn, Shaggy, Tb0n3 and 1 other person Thank this.
  10. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I agree, I would contact an attorney & have him just give a quick call to the company employee asking for that info. I'm willing to bet that, a less than 1 minute call will end that. $50 & your (& every other employee there) issue will be resolved.... as will many more of your future issues. They know from that point on, you wont put up with their nonsense. It will save you a lot of hassle now & in the future. If they fire you, call your attorney back.

Tb0n3 and BigBob410 Thank this.
  11. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

Something I don't understand, if this was a routine visit, how did a Dr release for return to work factor into it? Sounds like it is from an injury or illness that was serious enough that it cause the OP not to be able to work and perhaps this was something the company already knew about? If I just went in for an annual checkup I cannot see my Dr giving me a note saying I'm okay to return to work. There may to more to this situation than there appears from the first post.

DSK333, JReding, Lepton1 and 6 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.