End dump earning potential with my own authority

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by freebird95, Nov 18, 2018.

1. freebird95

freebird95 Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Just wondering what a realistic number is on how much a guy can make pulling an end dump under his own authority running regional. I cant make up my mind on if I wanna lease on to a company or try to get my own authority. I haul scrap now and haul heavy, but I can make anywhere from 1000 to upwards of 1800 a week gross, and that's on 30 percent of loads. Is it worth it to get my own authority and try to do that, or go OTR with the bucket, I would need to be home on weekends however. I have thought about the possible asking my current company to see if they will lease me on, but I'm not sure they would go for that as it's a small family owned comoany...
    any input is appreciated. Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    I guess it depends on your contacts in the business and how hard you want to work.

4. freebird95

Feb 17, 2015
    Yeah that's the thing I dont really have any contacts besides locally around where I live, and it seems like it's pretty much locked down from the other guys around here. I'm willing to work my ### off but I'm just not sure how to go about finding the work, especially if I'm gonna be running OTR. I thought about using load boards but it seems like most everything on those dont pay very well.. Any advice you could give a guy looking to start out and how to go about finding work?

5. blade

blade Heavy Load Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Some where, Mo
    If you are getting your own authority all the major players in the end dump world broker out the freight they can’t haul. I’m leased but run loads for page,us bulk, and Oakley bulk and Oakley more than others and there not the only ones just the only ones I’m willing to mention

freebird95 Thanks this.
  6. freebird95

Feb 17, 2015
    I guess the the trouble I'm having is, how do I go about finding these brokered loads Are they posted on load boards? How do you find contact information for these brokers? And if you dont mind me asking, who are you leased with? I live in northern Ohio, Vermilion actually. Which is about an hour east of Page and Bulks Toledo terminal, and about 2 hours west of Bulks Erie, PA terminal. Do you have any experience with either of these two places? I've thought about leasing on with them. Sorry if I'm being pushy or asking too many questions, I'm just really trying to get as much info and do as much research as I can, cause i want to do it right and not end up in the hole. I'm only 23 and I'm just trying to learn as much as I possibly can before I do this. Thanks alot

blade Thanks this.
  7. blade

blade Heavy Load Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Some where, Mo
    I’m leased to bone’s out of Ottawa ks I don’t have hazmat and at the time didn’t know if I wanted to stay in end dump so for me bone’s made the most since cause I only had to drive a hour to lease on. For you I can’t tell you what’s the best choice. If you already have your numbers or in the process of getting them just call each company and ask for a carrier packet. After you ask for that ask them where do they post there loads. Unfortunately it’s my belief though if you don’t yet know how to network by going directly to the people who have the loads you might not be ready to be completely independent. Either way I would call and talk to page and us from what I’ve heard there nice people to deal with it

freebird95 Thanks this.
  8. freebird95

Feb 17, 2015
    Alright, yeah like I said I'm just trying to do as much research as I can, just trying to find out if it would be better to lease or try to get my own authority. I know I am no way ready right now to even lease on let alone get my authority, like I said I'm just trying to learn as much as I can right now and trying to set goals. Thanks for the help

blade Thanks this.
  9. J Rich

J Rich Medium Load Member

May 28, 2018
    Atlanta Ga
    Sounds like you are looking to get away from the scrap?

I say why not stay with the scrap? Ask your company about leasing on with them they will want at least 20%. I work for a small (family type) scrap hauling company in the Southeast. He has 1 or 2 guys leased. I wouldn't worry about weekends most scrap places aren't open on the weekends (around here anyway).

Some guys around here are making upwards of $5K + a week hauling scrap locally. They are O/Os not leased. Not sure if they use brokers. Wish I could give you better info on that.

Most of our business is from the Boss beating the streets, and maintaining a good reputation with the customer. Some of our longer hauls he gets from brokers.

Hope this helps

Al. Roper, freebird95 and blade Thank this.
  10. freebird95

Feb 17, 2015
    Yeah if I could do that I would love to, I love my job. I have just always wanted to have own truck. I'm just not sure if they would go for it. I work on percentage now and busting ### hauling heavy I can gross 6k a week to the truck. But that is on a perfect week. I would say on average the truck grosses about 5k a week, and after the company takes their cut I'm afraid there wont be much left for me? I work at a small family owned company too we got about 10 trucks and the boss has been hauling scrap for 25 years. We have 4 or 5 places we haul out of. The company's name has leasing in it, so I would assume they would be ok with someone leasing, but I won't know till I ask. I'm just afraid if I do go that route there wont be enough money left for me after the company takes their cut. Is that how the lease deal works? Maybe would work if they tool 10 percent and I owned the truck and trailer. What do most company's take out if lease operator owns truck amd trailer? But I was thinking at that point I might as well get my own authority, but if i could lease on with where I'm at, they already have the dedicated loads and contracts set up I could haul...

11. blade

blade Heavy Load Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Some where, Mo
    I average about the same at my carrier I’m leased to my percentage is better than most!! So the cut ain’t bad. When I control my fuel economy and keep it down I survive. But don’t know how much you have for bills at home to add to what bills you create buying a truck and trailer

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.