End dumping with automatic truck.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Mustang187, May 14, 2022.

1. Mustang187

Mustang187 Bobtail Member

May 14, 2022
    I just got a 2016 Peterbilt with an automatic 13 speed transmission. It seems to be grinding gears when I take off from dumping. Is there anything special or different I need to do other than put the truck in neutral when engaging pto dumping and taking off again.
    I never had this problem with my old 18 speed. Thank you for any help!

motocross25 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Unfortunately that just seems to be the name of the game when end dumping with an auto. At least in a Pete. It sucks. That grinding sound is like nails on a chalkboard to me I can’t stand it. I’ve tried sitting for a bit thinking maybe letting things settle will help, to no avail. Soon as I hit the top of that last stage and flip the PTO off, “krrrrr”. We have autos with no Johnny Bar, it’s almost like they came up with exactly what you don’t want in end dumping, and ordered those.

Bean Jr. and Jammer' Thank this.
  4. desertracer

desertracer Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2018
    my son drives a pete end dump down in pheonix he never says anything about having tranny troubles his is an auto to but i don not know many gears he has good luck with it even in the heat

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    What if you stopped and left it in gear when switching the PTO? Everything inside the transmission should be stopped if its in gear and the wheels aren't turning.

Or is there something I'm missing with these automated manuals with PTOs?

Cat sdp and motocross25 Thank this.
  6. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Light Load Member

May 5, 2019
    San Diego
    Amodelcat is right the transmission must be in gear and stoped when the PTO is engaged on an automated transmission then placed in neutral to raise the box
    you can buy a pto that will engage while in neutral or while driving but it’s expensive and the clutch wears out and needs rebuilding

AModelCat, Bean Jr. and motocross25 Thank this.
  7. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Nope you’re absolutely right and I missed a big part of OP’s question. I saw “auto grinding when engaging PTO” and was instantly triggered. I do all my PTO On & Off’ing in gear, and get a little scratch, which irritates me. Yea if you’re in Neutral it’s gonna grind quite a bit more. This is your solution here @Mustang187 @AModelCat nailed it.

AModelCat and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Sounds like alot of work dumping an end dump with automatic.

We have a couple FLs with autos and ptos for tankers. No idea how they work. When they were first bought. Drivers were shutting engine off. Engage or disengage. Restart engine.

W923 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.