End my 2 year trucking career?!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Canwil3565, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    What are you terrified of? Mountains? Snow? Look it's a part of trucking. Every one started some place. You need to learn how to handle it. Limiting your self to only certain areas huts you. If you just want to run regional that's fine but ev n then most regional carriers will have some part of a mountain or snow to deal with

TripleSix Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    limiting yourself doesnt hurt anything, i worked for a carrier with no forced dispatch and checked the weather based on the loads i would choose, i still made good money and avoided all that nonsense, its not about proving somthing, its about whether its worth what im getting paid, would you tell an owner op to suck it up and take that 1$ a mile load?

4. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018

New York City!! :angry5:

Tombstone69 Thanks this.
  5. TankerP

TankerP Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Holding the steering wheel
    If you're happy being a truck driver then yes, a college degree is as useless as wet toilet paper. But some people want more than that. They want to be a captain of a jumbo jet as it flies across the ocean and you need a degree for that. Some people want to perform heart surgery and feel the satisfaction of saving a life and you need a degree for that. Some people want to be astronauts and experience the rare opportunity of space travel and you need a degree for that. Some people want to be the CEO of a large multinational company and sit behind an oak desk in highest floor of a skyscraper and you need a degree for that. Unlike you, who is obviously happy with driving around the country in a truck, some people want more and a degree is the first step to that dream.

Changed2, Slim51, 88 Alpha and 6 others Thank this.
  6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    why should you run to those other places if the pay is the same..??

cuz that gets you to those other places, where the freight is, and that keeps you rolling and MAKING money, rather than sitting on yer butt crying that you are broke and taking advances, that's why....

there's an old saying, and i may have to paraphrase it, but it goes something like, "if you can't run with the big dogs, then stay on the porch".......(and stop yer griping)......i added that.

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  7. Eowyn

Eowyn Medium Load Member

Jul 5, 2016
    TN
    If your daughter is in college can she move? Accredited college, I hope?

I would think the cost of living would be high in PA?

The Midwest is a good place for driving, even Chicago is a piece of cake compared to New York. I don’t like going to NY because of the traffic, tolls and it’s usually some messed up place where your backing into a dock you have to get to on a busy street, or designed for 48’s with a day cab.

I see lots of ads for jobs in WI too. They even have lots of parking on their US highways. WI is also in need of people with higher educations for their tech jobs. If I were to leave TN I would move to WI.

Transitioning is a bear too. I had to run up credit cards when I switched companies, but I pay them off as soon as I can.

Good luck!

8. wyldhorses

wyldhorses Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2012
    United States
    Right! My wife got a BSN degree in nursing, works three days a week, 36 hours a week total. Off four days a week. And makes 70k a year. What a mistake getting her degree was right?

Bob Dobalina, spindrift and Ruthless Thank this.
  9. Paddlewagon

Paddlewagon Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Llano Estacado
    $750/wk take home?!? You are gone 2-3 weeks at a stretch?!? Oh hell no!! There are WAY better opportunities out there with 2 years exp. Ya gotta look somewhere besides the truckstop mags and STOP taking advances.

10. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    I didn't mean she had to prove anything. But limiting yourself dose hurt your income. As a company driver you are paid to drive. In her case .40 a mile. That is not the same as an owner operator running for a $1 a mile. She makes her wage regardless if the company makes a profit. As far as "is it worth what I'm getting paid" well you agreed to work for that company for a set wage. If you feel it's not enough, find another job.

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    OK here is my take on all of this, I will be mean because I think some people get the wrong impression about life.

Read what I have to say, if you don't like it, can't help that. BUT because I've been in a lot worst situation when I reentered this, I don't find much to what you are saying that can't be fixed.

Yes it is. It always has been and I don't see why you are not looking inside of your situation.

OK what is this thing about make a name for yourself, this isn't American idol. Trucking is a hard thing, dangerous and it is unforgiving. ALSO trucking companies are paying a living wage when other places don't come close. People who have never seen more than a $350 paycheck in their life are now making $600 to $1000 a week, you can't do that anywhere else.

Your bills have nothing to do with them.

Stop with the advances, as others gave you a reason, I will give you another one - it sets you up to fail.

That's where I shop, so what's bad about it and I make a lot more than you do.

I am confused about this crap, sorry but we don't get combat pay for where the truck goes. YOU drive the truck, it goes everywhere and it is how you make money.

OK??

if you are tired with 3k a week, then there are two things you need to decide to do, one is lose the miles thing or figure out how to find another job.

Thinking miles will drown you with worry, it is obvious when you read a lot of other driver's posts. Start looking for a company that will pay you percentage (**gasp!) or hourly, like LTL work.

There are enough opportunities out there for people who want to drive but the problem with too many drivers is they think they can dictate the terms of what they do, when they are just ... a driver.

NO one gets extra pay for driving a truck down a road. Get that idea out of your head.

I disagree, you screwed yourself with this idea that you should get extra pay for driving down a road everyone else does.

I did it with 5 kids and a wife who at the time was in a crap job pulling in $175 a week on $500 a week. I know a few people who raised kids on $400 a week so it is possible.

BUT you have to make personal changes, drop a lot of the notions you have and learn how to cut back and manage money.

I bet I could find a lot of ways where you are.

OK drop the internet, get your daughter to get a job at a fast food place, have her drop college and when things turn around, start that all back up. There is no excuse for her to be in college while you are struggling with this.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Coover Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.