Endorsements before vs after Obtaining CDL (California)?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by EphTrucker, Jan 10, 2018.

1. EphTrucker

EphTrucker Light Load Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Hi, one potential CDL school owner/ instructor advised me to get my endorsements AFTER passing the CDL.

His experience is that the local California DMV office is "harder on you" during driving test if you already have endorsements. He estimates 2 weeks training with him to pass skills test.

A contrary opinion stated by a driver here on TTR is to get the endorsements BEFORE taking the CDL skills test because the endorsements will then appear on your physical CDL license, and possibly even more so since CA will roll out an improved ID beginning next week.

Question: Should I take instructors word at face value as being true based on his experience? Would he have some incentive that is not in my best intetest to ask me to wait to get my endorsements?

He comes highly rated by a trucker whose opinion I trust. His school is just $1800, guaranteed pass CDL A in California.

Question: should I wait to get endorcements merely for the possibility that skills test instructor will be "easier"

Gotta like the fact that his school is $1800 compared to most that are $6000.

Thanks in advance

SplashDogs Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Marl

Marl Bobtail Member

Jan 10, 2018
    I live in Indiana, when I went and got my CDL on my own about 10 years ago I took all the tests at once and was done with it. They weren't hard at all. The guy whom I took my driving test with never even asked a question about them

SplashDogs and EphTrucker Thank this.
  4. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    If you take all endorsements when you take your written test, the cost be same. If you take it seperate you pay more

5. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    My driving test lady had no idea about my endorsements. So I don’t believe your trainer. I got mine before for a couple reasons. One, I was super motivated and I was already studying multiple choice practice tests so it was not strange for me to just keep going. I was hung ho. Two, I watched a you tube video by somebody who said do it now, not later, there won’t be time. I now agree with him. I couldn’t go study and try to add endorsements now, I’m too busy in my driving career. No time!

My advice is get them now and get it over with.

MarkH129 and EphTrucker Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Get all the endorsements now, otherwise you will have to return to the DMV to do that. It's no big deal, just some simple multiple choice tests.

MarkH129 and EphTrucker Thank this.
  7. EphTrucker

Dec 12, 2017
    Thank You guys (& gals) for taking the time to respond

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Do you have a job lined up yet?

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    KKW Trucking in Pomona will hire you; all you need is the CDL-A and the length of school or even if you didn't attend a school isn't important.
    • Frequent Home Time
    • Assigned Tractors
    • New Equipment
    • Passenger Program
    • Family Oriented
    • Direct Deposit
    • Company Sponsored Activities
    • Paid Orientation
    • 11 Western States
    • Training Program (must have Class A)
    • * Local routes available
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    EphTrucker Thanks this.
  10. EphTrucker

Dec 12, 2017
    Hello Chinatown, I don't have a job lined up yet. My goal is to get my 1 year safe driving experience with a decent company (Ie not CR England etc) then apply to line haul here in Southern California such as Old Dominion. I am studying for CDP and endorsements now and will take test in few days at DMV. Thanks for your help

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Line haul companies pay very well and have good hometime.
    KKW runs western states including Texas.

EphTrucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.