Engine oil pressure lower than 30 and engine shut down.

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by wallance, Mar 22, 2018.

1. wallance

wallance Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2018
    My truck is 2015 Volvo VNL670 .D13 425HP XE. I just purchased last December from TEC Fontana,CA.
    Since last month, when changing new engine oil,oil pressure is normal.After run anout 600 miles, it went down to 31-32.After run 3000 miles ,it went down to less than 30 and engine shut down.The engine oil looks very thin.After changing fresh engine oil,the engine oil pressure became normal again.when we took the truck to TEC Fontana first time to repair between March 1st -8th,they did dye test and pressure test,finding fuel is leaking thru injector O ring. they changed all the injector O rings and injector caps and let us go.(Actually,we just changed all the injector kits and injector caps on Feb 6)
    After we left and run 600 miles,everything happened like before.We went back to TEC Fontana and asked them to repair again on March 16th.They said one injector failed and has to be replaced.we left there on March 19.
    Until now we have already drive about 600 miles, engine oil pressure went down to 31-32 again.everything is same like before.we wont trust dealer any more.
    My friend suggest me to go to Brucker's Mack&Volvo in Amarillo,TX.Is this shop good???
    Any advice will be appreciated.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I can't advise you, I'm not from your area. Is Amarillo the city you live?

wallance Thanks this.
  4. wallance

wallance Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2018
    No,I live in LA in California.
    We are now in Amarillo is and waiting for they open tomorrow .Hopefully,they could find our problem.I will update later. Thanks!

5. sorry to hear this,. I've have alot of friends who have dumped the new trucks due to the low, compression low rpm motors now.

how many miles on truck?

do you have warranty?

wallance Thanks this.
  6. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Low compression low rpm?

7. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA

Bruckner is very reputable.

wallance Thanks this.
  8. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Marshmallows roasting on a open fire.

There's nothing like going camping all of a sudden.

9. the newer Volvo rpm range is 1250 -
    maybe 1500rpm

a CAT 3406b runs 1500 - 1800 rpm

see the difference in older motors compared to the newer.

10. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Ok yes the peak torque is available on most newer Volvo at 1050 rpm, newest ones as low as 950 rpm.

Some Older cats like a 550hp 2ws was technically peak tq@1200. Most guys didn't pull hills much under 1400rpm ...16-18 for performance.

There is no low compression involved on new motors(higher actually).... That part didn't make sense.

VGT turbos are largely the reason tq can be made so low rpm now because you can adjust the turbo to spool up very early.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    wallance Thanks this.
  11. I did make a typo. it was late night for me.
    d13 compression ratios are 17:1
    3406(let's just say alot of them) 14:1 to average 15:1

Ive been at a location, where the motor was a 2015 had 226k miles and proceeded to blow the bottom end into the oil pan. not very promising for the tier 3 or 4 motors. I must say advances have improved fuel economy. But have been seeing more and more in a shop at an early age of mileage. with damage as if a million miles motor.

wallance Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.