Engine preference and which trucks to start with.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by sanjoel23, Mar 20, 2018.

1. sanjoel23

sanjoel23 Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2017
    what engine do you all think is best? Cummins, Cat, or Series 60. From what I've come to know, all of these can be reliable engines, with the cat being the most expensive for parts and overhaul, yet almost everyone I've asked swears by Cat yet my mechanic raves about cummins. I've heard series 60 are hard to tear up and are a cheap overhaul. I'm looking to try and put some trucks over the road to work, and thinking either a cascadia, prostar, or 587 with a cummins should do just fine, or a freight with a 60, along with deleting the def/dpf system. Cascadia might be cheapest to repair but I'm also wondering if a Pete might hold up better just cause its a Pete and brandname. I don't have a lot of experience in this field as I just started last year in october after fracking for 7 years. I'm also considering getting a pre-emissions 379 to put to work in the oilfield, but wondering if I had to put it over the road would it still get good fuel mileage as well as these other commercial fleet type trucks. I've heard these pre-emissions vehicles hold up best and can be reliable, but are expensive repairs. I have a cascadia currently in the oilfield and dont think its quite the right tool for the job and thought about swapping it with a 379. Wondering if in the end it might be worth it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sanjoel23

sanjoel23 Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2017
    I haven't had the chance to drive a cat before, or series 60. Just DD15 10 speed and Cummins ISX 8 speed, which were pretty good. Cummins 10speed in a cascadia for a bit and it felt way better than my DD15.

4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Man you are all over the map.
    Figure out what you're gonna use it for. An oilfield truck isn't really built for the highway and a highway truck won't cut it in the oil field. Same goes for will it pull tanker? Van? Flat?

As far as engines - same thing. Will you need to comply with California arb? If yes then deleting is out of the question. If no and you decide to delete make sure you do your homework there are plenty of engine ruining delete people ready to take your money. If you buy pre emissions all the engines fared pretty well. S60 will be easier on fuel but only slightly, cheap to rebuild, not the fastest to the top of the hill. Cat also live forever, high dollar rebuild, also good on fuel if you don't drive like a madman. A 6nz or earlier 3406 model engines are a real treat to drive. Cummins I have no personal experience with the older ones, but largely the same story. Good engine live forever as well.

Ps. They don't like us talking about deleting emissions systems on here.

kenn2632, Oxbow, Justrucking2 and 3 others Thank this.
  5. sanjoel23

sanjoel23 Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2017
    Ten four ppreciate the info. Most likely pull dry van, and not likely to run cali.

6. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    There is a big difference in operating cost between a Cummins n-14 and an ISX. Completely diffrent engines

Oxbow, Justrucking2, Bean Jr. and 2 others Thank this.
  7. oldog1984

oldog1984 Medium Load Member

Apr 17, 2010
    columbus,ohio
    this is a real good post thanks

8. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    CAT is a great engine if you take care of it. Change the oil, take samples at every interval. The parts are only expensive when they break. In 9 years I've had to replace the Pac-brake springs (less than $400 and that was having a CAT house do it), Platinum inframe plus some extras ($26,000 CAT house did that), and thermostats replaced by me (3 hours going slow and $190 in parts). You be the judge. Yes that inframe was expensive but I dare you to price an ISX or Detroit inframe for anything less than a basic no extras $18,500 platinum CAT inframe done by a CAT house. It won't be much less than a CAT. My engine starts when it's supposed to (ever since I replaced the MT42 with an MT39 starter lol). Stuff rarely breaks. I'll take it. Maybe next time it needs overhauling I'm smart enough to do it myself and save about $10,000... So $3,000 a year (beyond the expected filters and oil) for a motor that had 700,000 on it when I bought it and has 1.4 million now. Not bad.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Oxbow, Tug Toy, Justrucking2 and 2 others Thank this.
  9. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    My buddy paid 30,000 for a inframe on a cat please tell me where you can get that done for 18,500?

Tug Toy and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  10. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    Detroit 60 is the way to go as an o/o.Easier to work on,parts cheaper,fuel mileage better,inframe cheaper,etc.don't believe me call around.Best of all you still can get good horsepower over 700 plus ask pittsburgh power.

11. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    @poppapump1332 Any CAT dealer in the country should be able to do a platinum inframe for under $20,000. Mine was done 5 years ago at Thompson CAT in Manchester, TN and their quote on a print out was was a little under $20,000. I had them install a brand new 4 core radiator, brand new camshaft (a platinum inframe uses the original camshaft), had them install all new fuel lines everywhere on the truck, and all new silicone coolant hose everywhere, plus a lot of extra seals and such that they don't normally replace, I had them add an extra year to the normal 3 years unlimited miles warranty (which was 4 years total - and money wasted for that extra year warranty with the benefit of hindsight). If I had just done a basic platinum inframe it would have been less than $20,000. I'm pretty sure all these years later I could go get a quote tomorrow and it would still be close to $20,000....

Oxbow Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.