Enrolled in CDL school w/ fellow Marine vet, looking for good paying OTR company for teaming.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Tiredusmc, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Tiredusmc

Tiredusmc Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2016
    I've been pondering going OTR for the past two years and have finally made the leap!

I am starting a 4 week CDL class A program and should be fully licensed if everything goes according to plan by the beginning of April. I am doing this CDL program with a vet I served with in the USMC. We have the intention of teaming with each other since we're hearing teaming gets paid more, better loads, more miles, etc.

Being an established team should open up more doors or so I'm hoping. We are both going to get our passport, TWIC and every endorsement possible.

We currently reside in Eastern NC and would be taking home time every 6 to 7 weeks for a few days (3-4 days) in Eastern NC. Although we may be switching out licenses to Texas for tax proposes since neither of us will maintain a home after we go OTR, only a RV mailbox to get mail. So a company that wouldn't nitpick about that would be nice.

I'm not sure what the best division to go into for teams are, which one gets the most miles? reefer, van, tanker, flatbed, heavy hauler, it doesn't matter to us.

Do any of you think that some companies that require experience may make some exceptions for a newbie team?

Risking my life in another drivers hands and vis versa ought to come with increased pay, so truckers, what would be the best company to go with for me and my buddies situation?

Thanks for the help.

Edit:
    I'm 24
    Teammate is 23

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. EphTrucker

EphTrucker Light Load Member

Dec 12, 2017
    I am new to CDL too. But in So Cal. If I lived in North Carolina, I would definitely look at G&P Trucking out of Charlotte.

The reason I say that is that the company has been covered extensively on YouTube (trucker Jim and Red Viking Trucker) and I also spoke to a third trucker for G&P when I was in Alabama. All had good things to say.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Probably the two best team outfits for new cdl grads are Old Dominion Freight Lines and Trimac Transportation. Probably split a quarter million dollars per year. They're both picky about which cdl school you graduate from though.

windsmith and EphTrucker Thank this.
  5. EphTrucker

Dec 12, 2017
    Chinatown, the criteria for what constitutes a "good" trucking school seems more tied to total hours, availability of grade transcript, accreditation, ie, what looks good to the insurers.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Makes it difficult sometimes if a preferred school isn't in the area where a potential driver lives. Trimac and Old Dominion have the schools they hire from listed. Old Dominion pay is something like $ .75 cpm and that's not split; that's for each driver.
    UPS also hires new cdl grads for OTR and their pay is something like $ .7042 not split. They hire off the street for those jobs; not out of the warehouse. Have to apply online.
    [​IMG]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Quest Global is looking for established teams because it's difficult for them to match drivers for teaming. They sometimes cut slack on the 3 mos. experience requried for an established team.
    [​IMG]

7. EphTrucker

Dec 12, 2017
    Hey Chinatown, thanks for the info. I have seen Trimacs list of preferrd schools online. Am very curious about ODFL list of preferred CDL schools, have not seen one. If you have a link, please let me know. I do know of two CDL schools Old Dominion has hired drivers out of in the past (One, CDS in WA state , another school in York, PA).

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I don't have a link for Old Dominion schools.

9. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    You're brand new, you won't be a team for a while. You'll have to both go through training individually.

I know our company treats teams like gold. I knew a guy got hired in mid oct. By mid Nov he was in an almost new truck teamed with his wife, automatic, the latest and greatest. I've been working here since June of last year and the only reason they upgraded me was because my old half million mile rattlecan had a mechanical issue and they had to tow it away. I'd still be in it if it wasn't for a POS belt tensioner installed by TA a couple of weeks earlier. The truck they upgraded me to wasn't as new as the one they gave the guy who teamed with his wife.

And low and behold, 2 months later on ice the wife jackknifes the almost new truck and rips the cab off the frame. And here I am, bee-bopping along in my old POS standard that rattles more than a snake's tail and not hurting a thing. And I had to wait several more months to be upgraded only due to my old truck dying.

Pretty sad.

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Old Dominion and Estes Express both have "dock to driver" programs now.

windsmith Thanks this.
  11. Tiredusmc

Tiredusmc Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2016
    I was looking at Trimac and called to confirm the Miller Motte Colleges CDL program is approved and they confirmed it was. I don’t know about OD though. Do these two companies hire new teams? I know Truman has an Elite fleet/team thing, but 2 yrs exp. is required and I doubt they’d make an relax that requirement?

I see you help a lot of people on here Chinatown, which I am greatly thankful for. Do you think $$$ wise, team is a good way to go?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.