Entering the world of tankers

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Voyager1968, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Jynxx

Jynxx Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    Never become complacent. That was told to me by a seasoned fuel hauler when I first started hauling fuel and I have never forgotten that. IMO it was one of the simplest yet best pieces of advice I have received in this industry.

low fat, LaBubba and Zangief Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pathfinder1361

pathfinder1361 Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2011
    miami, fl
    i did the same thing, only it was gasoline...that woke me up!

4. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Follow the same steps for each delivery, try and build a 'habit' that you follow every time.

Almost every spill and every driver I've seen who was sprayed w/ something corrosive were the result of some sort of a 'short cut' which did not follow the rules or failed to wear their personal protective equipment [PPE]...

Every piece of safety gear is there to protect the driver and get his butt out of a jam...It can't help you if it is in the side compartment.

I used to teach groups of new drivers after they went to our school [a 2nd trip thru driving school pulling a tanker 1/3rd full of water]. I always asked them what the in cab fire extinguisher was for...

Not for 4 wheelers on fire, not for truck tires on fire. It is for the driver to put out any post accident fire inside the cab b/4 using the MT extinguisher to bust out the windshield to get the driver's butt out of the cab...

LaBubba, wsyrob and low fat Thank this.
  5. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    Not for 4 wheelers on fire, not for truck tires on fire. It is for the driver to put out any post accident fire inside the cab b/4 using the MT extinguisher to bust out the windshield to get the driver's butt out of the cab...

Well said....10's and 15's are only going to get you in trouble if you try to be a highway hero. They buy time and not much of that either.......

6. low fat

low fat Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Ontario
    Sound advice all around, thanks guys.

7. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem

No $h!t Wish I had gone to that school.

8. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well, I may be transferring within the company over to end dumps. The pay is somewhat better and I'll have more variety in my runs as I wouldn't be doing the same trip to the same place 3 times per night 5 nights per week like I am with the water.

But the best part is that I'd have my own assigned truck. No more sharing with another driver.

BSD and LaBubba Thank this.
  9. low fat

low fat Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Ontario
    Hey Voyager 1968, whatever you decide good luck brother.

10. shredfit1

shredfit1 Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    Yeah, I think we have all done it... It happened to me with gasoline too, was pulling another drivers trailer and I saw the hose jump and thought the compartment was empty(turns out it need much more time to drain through the baffles on this particular trailer... so I quickly walked the hose up to move it to another compartment... soon as uncam the hose and move it over about 50-75 gallons of gas decided to come out into my little 4 gal bucket... LOL quickly set the main valve, been not without being bathed in gas.

Needless to say, I wasn't happy.

pathfinder1361 Thanks this.
  11. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    had a seal go out on an anhydrous tanker.

Unfortunately, it was on the wrong side of the fire valve attached AT the main tank.:biggrin_25524::biggrin_25521:

pathfinder1361 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.