Erratic cooling

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by bigguns, May 14, 2019.

1. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    93 S60 12.7 During cool weather the radiator keeps up with cooling the engine. Now at 85 degrees ambient temperature the radiator won't keep the engine cool without running the fan all the time. I have run a cleaner through the cooling system. It seems to have helped a little. When the engine is wanting to run warm, taking my foot out of it and rolling down hill the temp. won't drop as quickly as it should. Late in the day Monday evening the temp. went right back to climbing slowly while going up hill and dropping quickly after topping a hill. Long story short, sometimes the cooling system is very effective and some times it won't get the job done. After this all started I changed the water pump and then the thermostats. The old stats I put on the stove tonight and they seem to be working fine. It is as if something is slowly the flow of coolant at times. I checked the radiator and it was 180 at the top and 144 at the bottom with the fan on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I would try separating the A/C condensor, the radiator and air cooler. Then blow them out one at a time. Separating them is the only way to get them clear.

4. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Then maybe thank about any air getting in the cooling system.

Rideandrepair and bigguns Thank this.
  5. lwlevens

lwlevens Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2018
    Maybe air pockets in the rad.

Rideandrepair and bigguns Thank this.
  6. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Is pushing any coolant out the overflow?

7. bigguns

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    I disassembled the cooling package a while back. When I got it clean I put a screen in front. Too dang many bugs, love bugs and cotton seed dust down here. I did quit the cotton seed hauling though.

Not pushing coolant.

How would air get in the cooling system.? No air controlled heater valves.

I can watch the temp. gauge and see the stats open and close by the temperature changes. Other times not so much.

This has been going on for some time w/o any other issues.

8. lwlevens

lwlevens Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2018
    Maybe air from draining the rad when you replaced the water pump and or thermostats.

Rideandrepair and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  9. BoxCarKidd

Aug 26, 2014
    Heater valves was my first thought. While it would be rare an air compressor or engine compression problem. Water cooled turbos any more?
    I read a TSB on Cummins engines one time. Put a clear hose between a water port of the top of the head and the other end on the water pump inlet side. It should not have air bubbles in the hose. Air causes cavatation in the water pump and it will not work properly. I do not recall if it was a Cummins TSB or one for a major company I worked for. Can not find it and that is the best I recall. I would want to do the same test on another truck before I condemed it. Just sharing the idea.
    There was one of those running through here form out of state. I checked everything I know to check. Everything was good even run up the road with a bottle test. If he left, unloaded, and returned an hour later it would be a gallon low. He hauled from about four hours away and this went on for several weeks. He carried water as it was required to make the trip.
    Later he said it had liner seat problems.That is what he was told but would the shop the did not do it correctly the first time tell the truth?

10. BoxCarKidd

Aug 26, 2014
    Most all systems have air vent lines anymore but check that out. Are any stopped up?

spsauerland and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  11. bigguns

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    Senior moment last night. The air compressor as a way of getting air into the cooling system. It hit me at 3am this morning.

This morning: 54 degrees outside and I could watch the stats opening and closing. Loading now so I shall see what happens.

The vent line has been checked and it is running coolant through it ok.

BoxCarKidd and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.