Erratic cooling

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by bigguns, May 14, 2019.

1. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    With what others have said, what you have done and my radiator shops information ( years ago they said: the faster the vehicle goes the hotter it gets is usually a core problem ) you should follow wore outs advise.
    I know a lot has changed in 35 years with air fan clutches and such. They just alter the final results a bit.
    If pulling a hill or increasing speed both demand more from the cooling system.

Rideandrepair and bigguns Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    My problem is why today and not yesterday? Same load, same road, same air temp, same driver. That radiator core came out of my ‘06. It looked good 250,00 miles ago. I need to check on the impeller on the water pump. Just because the water appears to be moving slowly through the radiator, it isn’t necessarily the radiator slowing the flow. If it is the radiator why the change from day to day. I doubt the core is plugging and unplugging itself. I need to put a camera in a capsule and send it through the cooling system. Don’t I wish.

wore out, BoxCarKidd and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I was going to mention WP. My 12.7 sheared the impeller, it still spun a little. Had same thing happen on a 65 Dodge years ago,very little heat all winter. Lol. Otherwise would have never thought of it. On my Truck I Removed the hose and took a screwdriver and impeller would turn. Replaced Waterpump.

bigguns Thanks this.
  5. bigguns

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    That had crossed my mind and I was going to call Detroit. I would hope by this day in age people would have quit coming up with stupid ideas related to pump impellers. But but but we can save $.07 per impeller by doing this. I will check it for sure.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Connect a line to the rear of your block or head in the cooling system. Connect that to a gauge on your mirror bracket. If the pressure drops it will run hot. The impeller is slipping or you have air in the system.

spsauerland Thanks this.
  7. bigguns

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    Case closed. Joke is on me. I NEVER would have believed it. I disassembled all the cooling system possible. Back flushed and flushed everywhere. Put a hose in the top of the radiator. Top tank filled asap. I can pee a bigger stream than what came out the bottom. AARRRRGGGGHHHHH

Oxbow, wore out, Rideandrepair and 3 others Thank this.
  8. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    You said that you just replaced the water pump though didn't you?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  9. bigguns

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    Yes. I put the water pump on a while back (1 year maybe). I just got off the phone with Russ. He tells me there is a baffle between the top tank and the core. He had a core issue and the water hose test looked good but the core was still partially plugged. So the garden hose test isn't a good one. Good to know. Next I told him that one day the truck is 100% ok cooling. Another day it won't cool. or cools half right. He hadn't yet read post #22. Now he and I both believe the water pump impeller is slipping. Russ informed me that even today water impellers can go to slipping. So I have my answer on the top tank and the impeller. So back to work.

wore out, Rideandrepair and Oxbow Thank this.
  10. bigguns

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    Next update. It positively isn't the water pump. I removed the snap ring and plate and found the impeller to be ok. Next I removed the water pump to put it down on blocks so I could get the snap ring back in. I don't own any Paul Bunyan size snap ring pliers. Checked the bull gear for wiggle while I had the opportunity. So a core it is I guess.

wore out, spsauerland and Oxbow Thank this.
  11. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Process of elimination, few do that these days

spsauerland and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.