ESTES Express (5 Year Review)

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by KaoMinerva, Oct 3, 2018.

1. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    I got out of as much work as I possibly could. Lol

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    The outlaw days were some of the best tho. I ran dark at Marten alot during California turns in less than 48 hours.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  4. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    My outlaw days would have been better if I were working for the right company. I wasted a lot of my energy on 34 cents per mile. Lol

Although I did some of that at Yellow, and that paid pretty dang well. But it's been 11 years since I have been at Yellow. Lol

like clay… +++ and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  5. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    Hey man I was doing the same. We just had crazy per diem so look 14 of the 34 wasn't being taxed lol.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  6. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    They tried introducing that stuff right before I quit. I wasn't a fan, given how it adversely affects your retirement and ability to get a home loan.

BeHereNow97 Thanks this.
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    My first big truck job in the bad old days consisted of the hours I mentioned for 23% of what was usually around a $400 load.

The Shadow and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  8. BeHereNow97

BeHereNow97 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2020
    Well, that's discouraging to hear and I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you. If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been driving for, do you have anything on your driving record and how many companies have you driven for in the past several years?

I only ask because maybe the manager just used the lack of manual experience as an excuse?

Also, did you specifically bring up your lack of experience in a manual when you spoke with the manager, or did he ask you about whether you drove an automatic or manual at your previous company (or companies)?

Well if they're not hiring for lack of experience on a stick shift then I'll definitely be disqualified. I'll have 2 years experience at the start of 2021, all for the same company, doing reefer/dry van but I've been in automatic trucks the whole time. Like I said earlier in this thread I don't have the automatic restriction on my license either I tested and learned how to drive a semi truck in a manual during CDL school at the local community college.

But, that was 2 years ago and honestly I would have to have a refresher course with a trainer because I was never very good in a manual as it was. But if Estes is disqualifying people for lack of manual experience it might be better to see if any CDL schools in my area have a refresher course and just keep my mouth shut if I apply to Estes.

I could stay OTR too though. I don't know. I know I want to save more and make more than what I'm making right now. Especially for the sacrifices one makes when living out here OTR.

like clay… +++ and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  9. BeHereNow97

BeHereNow97 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2020
    I'm a BIG fan of per diem. I get hammered with taxes as a single man with no dependents. Very glad my current OTR company gives us per diem I have been able to save much more money by paying so much less in taxes these past 2 years because of per diem.

like clay… +++ and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  10. Gamecock Taylor

Gamecock Taylor Bobtail Member

Dec 16, 2019
    I'll have two years experience in February, all for Schneider, but I'm not really worried about it; opportunities come and go. I didn't bring up the conversation about not driving a manual, and wasn't going to unless he brought it up which he did.

LtlAnonymous and BeHereNow97 Thank this.
  11. Muskie

Muskie Medium Load Member

Feb 27, 2019
    Which brings up a good point. If you get a chance by your company to drive a manual, jump on it. About a month will do it. Or ask. Even though Estes and I'm sure other LTL"s, are going to automatics, they still have a lot of manuals. Often you may need to move one of drive short term. Also Estes will try to tell you that you need to be able to break or set pups. Just tell them no problem, you'll pick it up right away. Often they are trying to talk you out of the job to qualify you. Be confident. If the terminal needs you bad enough, they will bend. I got turned down at the Phoenix terminal for Estes, but that didn't stop me, went right up to Minneapolis and got hired!

BeHereNow97 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.